Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it only a matter of time before one of the big three offers a high-end model in "relic" cosmetic condition--artificially-aged lacquer voids and scuffs with tarnish on bare metal, tube scratches and minor knocks, worn pearls... (corks, felts, pads and operation brand-new, however). Would you be interested in such a product? (not me)

I ask because there is a lucrative! trend in the electric guitar industry to upcharge for a pre-aged appearance: corroded hardware, lacquer cracked and chipped, body dented and marred, blond neck wood "sweat"-stained. Not only Fender main line and Custom Shop, but boutique mid-volume highest-quality makers such as Collings.

I guess I'm stunned by this. Not like one cannot find used in any desired condition. What is the appeal of being the first owner of a deliberately damaged instrument, and paying extra for that? I suppose they shall never suffer first-scratch trauma, but is it really effective in imagining your brand new instrument was actually teleported off the stage at Woodstock or the Opry into your hands? Paying retail, for such a fake non-experience. And these are not faithful replicas of famous guitars, but simply randomly pre-aged by the maker.

But again, popular and a cheap-to-make option for the manufacturer with a high return.

I played a factory-fresh Ishimori tenor with a blotchy dark finish color and dulled engraving that I found very ugly and unpleasant, but do not think at this time--thank goodness--Selmer nor Yanagisawa nor Yamaha have any offerings with this option.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,460 Posts
This is really a 12 or 13 years old phenomenon the unlacquered models were the closest any major brand went to the craze.

Lesser brands produced the antique, warrior, brutes and so forth but despite some sales the bulk of the sales are rather traditional finishes.

Inderbinen was the first to do any of this, the sales aren’t giant, the price is. Has been around for a while, major brands haven’t followed up.

it is what it is

Cannonball (and many others ) did

b5br.jpg

In the camera world leica produced a correspondent Lenny Kravitz model pre warn out finish.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the camera come with a faux catalog of all the significant photos it supposedly had taken in its journey to well-used?

I think the buyer should get more than a pre-damaged device at a price premium, certainly an imaginary past as well.

I'm not familiar with correspondent Lenny Kravitz, just the rock star/actor. If this camera is a faithful replica of the wear on the correspondent's actual camera, I guess that is something else of value to someone.

·
40,460 Posts
I'm not familiar with correspondent Lenny Kravitz, just the rock star/actor. If this camera is a faithful replica of the wear on the correspondent's actual camera, I guess that is something else of value to someone.
The story is a bit complicated.

Lenny Krawitz is of course a guitarist and amateur photographer and a celebrity whose “ imprimatur” can help sales.

His father Sy Kravitz was , though not strictly speaking a reporting correspondent, a news producer for NBC and apparently was a keen photographer too.

Lenny Kravitz made this “ connection” though is not very clear why would this camera need to fake having been used (each piece is created perfect and THEN scuffed uniquely) for a very long time, it’s a digital camera, how old could it have been?

Anyway now he at it again, now he has a VEGAN camera ( Faux snake leather......). I don’t understand these things but there you go

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Add a few faux-tattered pads and faded-glory felts and you have the real deal! Faded jeans, rock-washed, stone-washed, are about the only fake patina I can warm up to - maybe some cabinet hardware but that's a different story. It would be interesting, though to see a Steam-Punk horn.

·
40,460 Posts
not exactly functional a King

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get you. Thanks for the back story.

I do think Leica editions may be more in the fashion/broad-appeal luxury market than saxophones, however (more than a few of these will likely be gifted in Hollywood). Unless Selmer put snake skin sleeves and jewels on some painted horns. I hope the French have more taste and self-respect than that. But if there is a market and a huge margin, more power to them.

A bit far afield from reliced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
Is this a case of relic good, relac bad?

I suppose the natural evolution of this would just be to buff the new horn down and relaquer it right from the get go.... that would really screw with the resale value of your factory fresh new old horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,274 Posts
I think the closest thing that comes to the OP description is the Ref 54 which besides the old post selmer Buescher is probably the most ugly horn in history.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is question of image. A player wants the look of a horn that is well used. Implying many imaginary years of use and experience. What is that saying? "Beware the man with the shiny horn."

To age a horn properly, start with an new shiny horn, then playing it as much as possible for 30 to 40 years...

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,155 Posts
It's been a trend in furniture making for at least 50 years to "distress" perfectly new pieces with paint spatters and hammer marks, beat them with chains etc. We have a few new pieces in our home with the aged look. I'm not a fan but my wife likes it so....

We had a cabinet made from an old leaded glass cabinet door that I'd "saved" in the backyard for a few years. The cabinet is new but the door is 90 years old and weathered. It's kind of a nice look if you like that kind of thing. I like my horns to look as new as possible.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ref 54... probably the most ugly horn in history.
Phil, are you talking about the currently-available Reference horns in Vintage Matte (AKA PAO, whatever that stands for)? Because my Ref 54 matte alto is my absolute favorite finish. Worse than shiny, I hate shiny with fingerprints and spit spots and drool streaks, and the matte hides all that! Quick wipe every coupla days, done. The matte does come off in wear areas, like on my thumb rest in my case.

No engraving other than the logo on the bell, either, and that is more than OK by me, not a big fan of engraving.

So I suppose in forum shorthand you are saying in your opinion the horn is ugly. Beautiful, plain and practical, in my opinion. They sell lots of them!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,274 Posts
Yes...their antique finish...i think its rather ugly. Its a matter of personal taste but I think its rather sad...I dont like the horn either. Inhad one for several years.

·
40,460 Posts
We have discussed several times the distressed, vintage and other such things before .

In the automotive industry there is a whole group of people whom transform even NEW cars in heavily used ones.

RAT Look ( two examples, the first is a “ Wrap” which simulates rust )

1 - 20 of 61 Posts