Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering just how many facing measurements most refacers/makers take?
How many points along the curve are measured or need to be measured to ensure an accurate enough curve.
I’ve been working on a few baritone pieces and have done surprisingly well using only five points of measure.
To clarify, that is five points along the curve plus the actual tip measurement.
So six in total.
Is there a minimum that you feel should be taken to insure accuracy?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've had good luck with the 5 or so that are explained in the Erick Brand Book. Some times I will go back and check/fine tune in between with the feelers supplied with the theo's set (I think there are around 9?) but it really hasn't seemed necessary. Some of those points on the large set of feelers are pretty close together and it is real easy to remove material from the wrong place on the curve if you are not super diligent.

·
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s a set of 5 of Theo’s that I am using.
I find that it seems to be enough to get a nice facing.
I do find the glass guage a little tricky to use on some pieces though, as it seems to slide around on some.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've never had first hand experience with this myself, but one of my original teachers used to re face and re work mouthpieces for many years and had a pretty good reputation. He used the Erik Brand book and tool set and used 5 numbers when re facing a mouthpiece. Before he passed, he wrote down what he thought was my best facing and he told me if I ever had work done in the future to take the numbers to a good re facer and they would know exactly what they are. He explained to me what each of the numbers meant but he said a good re facer, at least back in the day would always use 5

Just found those numbers last week after not seeing them for many years lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I do find the glass guage a little tricky to use on some pieces though, as it seems to slide around on some.
I've found if it slides around a lot it could be because the table is a little convex. You may want to check that.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I agree with Pontius that sliding around indicates a convex table. Are you using Theo's glass gauge? I bought one from Music Medic, and found that it was very poorly marked - the gradations are off. The distance measured between 0 and 70 is actually 36 mm instead of 35. Also the lines are rather thick compared to the LAW one I use. If my LAW one breaks, I'll have to call JJ Babbit... I don't know any other source of glass gauges.

Regarding measurements, I don't think it's the number of points so much as whether they are spaced fairly evenly. You want to get measurements on most of the curve. If you use the original Erick Brand feelers, then for most modern sax mouthpieces they are all bunched up at the base of the curve.

5 should be enough, I often use every other feeler in my set during refacing. Of course I occasionally check with all the feelers - my set has 11 or 12 (I can't really remember) going up to 0.124". How many I actually use depends on how open the mouthpiece is :)

·
8,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with Pontius that sliding around indicates a convex table. Are you using Theo's glass gauge? I bought one from Music Medic, and found that it was very poorly marked - the gradations are off. The distance measured between 0 and 70 is actually 36 mm instead of 35. Also the lines are rather thick compared to the LAW one I use. If my LAW one breaks, I'll have to call JJ Babbit... I don't know any other source of glass gauges.

Regarding measurements, I don't think it's the number of points so much as whether they are spaced fairly evenly. You want to get measurements on most of the curve. If you use the original Erick Brand feelers, then for most modern sax mouthpieces they are all bunched up at the base of the curve.

5 should be enough, I often use every other feeler in my set during refacing. Of course I occasionally check with all the feelers - my set has 11 or 12 (I can't really remember) going up to 0.124". How many I actually use depends on how open the mouthpiece is :)
Yes I do use a Theo Wanne glass guage and it measures 36mm at the 70 mark also.
I guess this doesn’t matter too much as long as I continue to use the same guage and not swap and change.
Although it might mean that my facings are longer than they actually measure for me.
This could be an issue if I am trying to replicate facing measurements from a piece measured by someone else though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts