Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :
what dimension could be considered a SHORT facing length, a MEDIUM or a LARGE facing curve length in a Metal Tenor Mouthpiece ?
I have a mouthpiece that has 19,5 mm facing length.
View attachment 194289

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The tip opening is 0.095

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did you use a feeler gauge to measure the facing for the break ? 19.5 would be considered short. With a .95 tip a 24 facing would be about right.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Yes, 19.5 mm is very short for your 6* tenor piece.

I've never seen real figures, but guess for tenor pieces 20-24 is short, 24-26 is medium and > 26 mm is considered long.

I prefer a 25 mm facing length (I play a 10* Link with that facing).

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an Otto Link Super Tone Master, refaced by Mojo, and the opening ( according to him) in that mouthpiece is "49"... (but using the glass that read the opening in twice the real value in mm ).So the opening is 24.5 mm...
I checked it with the same feeler gauge and using the same system and I got the same value as him ( 24.5 mm)...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
So basically, someone refaced this for you (closed it) and gave you an incredibly short curve. Unless you requested this, I'd think someone kinda messed up here.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In other words, make sure your feelers are in fact metric. If you're using a .05mm, that's still too big. A .04mm feeler would be closer to what most refacers use.

If your feelers are in inches 19.5mm would make more sense for the .005" (13mm) reading.

·
12,711 Posts
If it is my work others are correct...you need to use a .0015
.005 is way to big.
I face my metal pieces with a medium length. If you face my pieces with a short facing and you dont lower the baffle it will play harsh. Facing length is not just about response, it is directly tied to tonal color as it lengthens or shortens the reed and thus alters the speed if vibration. A millimeter or half millimeter makes a difference.
i only use short facings if someone makes me. I do not like them.

·
12,711 Posts
On a .095 the difference between a .005 and .0015 is about 2 mm
That would make your facing about a 22 give or take a margin of error for measuring.
Its likely a 22.5 which would be a 45 which would be in range of what i would use on A mosaic of that size.

·
Registered
462 Posts
.05mm maybe close enough, but .005" (I've seen some feeler sets X's .1 to save ink) is way off. It's worth mentioning that the feelers may be in inches. Although, you've tested another piece that apparently checks out so perhaps it is a "short" facing...

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using a set of feelers in mm

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
0.05 mm = 0.0019685”

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a plastic film , measuring aprox. 0.0015" and made the measurement again and I got a result of 22.5 ( not as exactly, because it is a plastic film, not a feeler ( I do not have feelers in inches ). But it is as Sigmund says...
"Its likely a 22.5 which would be a 45 which would be in range of what i would use on A mosaic of that size."
It was my mistake, using a milimetric feeler , that is thicker than the 0.0015" used by refacers. the reading i got was erroneus. Sorry...
so, to answer my own question, ( according to the answer from Morgan Fry ) a facing curve in the range between 22-23 milimeters could be considered medium, less than 22 short and longer than 24, Long...
many thanks to all to help me understand, and correct my measurement..
best wishes

·
12,711 Posts
I say otherwise and i made the piece.

22.5 or 23 is 45 to 46 on a standard gauge

That would be a bit short for a .105 bout not a .095

Facing lengths change with tip size.

Same piece gets a 48 on a .105 or .110

call it what you want but its not a short facing

You cant discuss facing length independent of tip size, you cant discuss with any meaning independent of the style and structure of the entire piece.

If you try it becomes an arbitrary number. When making or designing a piece the facing length is a powerful tool in the determination of tone and color...its not just about response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts