Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago, I was getting up to pee at night and somewhere between landing my feet on the floor and making it to the bathroom, I took a right turn and woke up surprised and thinking I had fallen out of bed. However, I had made it all the way around the bed to the other side and done a face plant between a chair and my wife's bedside table, catching the side of my abdomen on the sharp corner of the bedside table and my face hit something, either the wall or the carpeted floor.

My mouth was hurting and though I couldn't see any damage immediately, I went to see my dentist to see if anything bad happened to the mouth. It turns out that I have cracked my front right (my right) top front tooth in 4 or 5 places. He suggested I just wait it out to see if the tooth recovers. A week has passed and today was the first day I gave the horn a blow. It started out pretty rough, not unbearable pain-wise but sounded horrible. I should point out that I am a beginner on tenor, with only a couple of months experience. My teacher had just recommended a new mouthpeice which I had bought and had only tried briefly before the incident. I went back to my trusty albeit thin sounding original MP that came with my 1927 Martin Handcraft and was back to playing easier and sounding better, yet thin. So, I then had a go with my other
MP that I had purchased earlier, a Yamaha 4C and was able to blow respectably well enough but with some difficulties on hi D and hi G. This was using a #2.5 reed. My teacher recommended I get some 1.5 or 2's for my new mouthpiece due to the fact that it was so much more open than my 'trusty/thin' MP but could not find any 1.5's, only 2's. So, I tried my Yamaha 4c with the #2 reed and could play it quite well with only a bit of discomfort and most of the notes were coming out clean now. I think I will stick with the Yamaha for a bit longer to build up some better embouchure, since I think my trusty/thin MP was making me lazy. I certainly feel it in the cheeks when doing my exercises with the Yamaha. The other MP, by the way, was a Rico Royale M7, I think way too much mouthpeice for a beginner, eh?

So, where can I find cheap 1.5 reeds with cheap or free shipping - online?

Also, Anyone else have any similar tooth cracks and how long did it take to heal or did it eventually crack off? Dentist said worse case is it could crack right near the gum which would mean the tooth is toast. Would need an implant if that happens.

Anyways, comments, recommendations and similar stories welcome.
Any suggestions for easy standards? I'm working on Autumn Leaves and These Foolish Things at the moment. Would like to add some more to my repertoire ...

Cheers,
Larry

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yikes don't worry you will heal no stress it happens I hurt my shoulder and arm took two weeks to heal .

Cheers
Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts