Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an interesting alto on eBay (I seem to have a bad habit of adopting dubious eBay horns), and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. It's apparently an F. Sudre/Halari instrument, but I have no idea when it was made. I know that Sudre was an instrument manufacturer who bought out the Halari workshop (which was previously owned by the man who invented the ophicleide), but the few Sudre saxophones I've been able to find images of have wire keyguards. The engraving on the bell is very worn and covered in tarnish and grime, but I'm able to make out:

(illegible) BREVETES
CONSERVATOIRE
Halari
F. SUDRE
(illegible)
PARIS

And here are some images of the horn in question. I tried to keep my distance, since the poor sax is a legit biohazard as it is now.

View attachment 248732
View attachment 248734
View attachment 248736

The keyguards remind me a lot of those on Dolnet horns, but there's engraving near the bow joints that reminds me of a Selmer. I don't think this is a stencil, but I don't know enough about French-made saxes to make a definitive call. Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
Despite the similarities with a Dolnet this could have been made by another French maker Robert Drouet, which also used a similar guard.

Often times they are mixed up and confused. The neck and rounded (!) left hand table are to me, quite indicative, also the bell to body brace and the shape of the Eb-C keys

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
Interesting brace under the neck. I wonder, why?
You may have never noticed, but several (perhaps less known to you) French (especially Pierret but also other brands) brands feature a form of such braces on altos.

Pierret

Lyrist

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, milandro! I did some searching and it seems like my sax most likely is a Robert Drouet stencil; I found an image of one that looks extremely similar to mine, albeit older (it had split bell keys).

I'm really impressed with the build quality of this horn. It's definitely the sturdiest saxophone I've personally come across, though perhaps because of this it's unusually heavy for an alto. Unfortunately, it's going to need some serious help before it's playable again. It has moldy pads and felts and is just nasty to touch. At least all of the screws are in good shape and turn easily, so it'll be easy to take apart when I'm ready to give it the decontamination treatment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts