Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a F-Fork extension available for the Yamaha YSS-61? Will the Oleg fit or can that be modified to fit?

Yes, I know there are other fingerings I could use for these notes up the horn. But since my YSS-61 is the only horn I have without the front F, it's a pain to remember different fingerings for just one horn.

Thanks,
TJ

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
You mean that third octave front F fingering? You mean that front F touch piece that lifts the high F key?

That fingering works so poorly on some sopranos that you may as well not have it. Perhpas that is why Yamaha left it off for that model.

A good technician can fabricate and install extra keys and levers. Such modification is typically expensive, because it can be pretty time consuning.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
The Oleg front F key should fit a YSS-61 and open the high E key provided the pillar it attaches to is similarly located as a MkVI or earlier MkVI-style Yanagisawa soprano. Can you get a good high F on your YSS-61 by playing upper register A with the high E key open (8ve xxo|high E ooo) ? If that works, then you shouldn't have any problem using the Oleg front F key.

It's not really a fork fingering as there are no open toneholes between LH fingers 1 and 2 - you only have fork fingerings if LH or RH fingers 1 and 3 are closed but the 2nd finger is still raised (and you only tend to encounter fork fingerings for some altissimo notes or if a RH forked Eb mechanism is fitted).

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean that third octave front F fingering? You mean that front F touch piece that lifts the high F key?

That fingering works so poorly on some sopranos that you may as well not have it. Perhpas that is why Yamaha left it off for that model.

A good technician can fabricate and install extra keys and levers. Such modification is typically expensive, because it can be pretty time consuning.
Yes, I do mean the front F key you find on modern horns. I believe the YSS-61 was Yamaha's first soprano. Mine has a very early serial number. The YSS-62/62R had the front F added into their design.

The Oleg extension I thought maybe a worth while mod but, the website says it's for Mark VI or Yani clones. If it needs much more work, I'll likely pass on on it.

The Oleg front F key should fit a YSS-61 and open the high E key provided the pillar it attaches to is similarly located as a MkVI or earlier MkVI-style Yanagisawa soprano. Can you get a good high F on your YSS-61 by playing upper register A with the high E key open (8ve xxo|high E ooo) ? If that works, then you shouldn't have any problem using the Oleg front F key.

It's not really a fork fingering as there are no open toneholes between LH fingers 1 and 2 - you only have fork fingerings if LH or RH fingers 1 and 3 are closed but the 2nd finger is still raised (and you only tend to encounter fork fingerings for some altissimo notes or if a RH forked Eb mechanism is fitted).
Yes, I get the 3rd F with the fingering 8ve xxo|side E ooo on my YSS-61. As long as I can use the front E (8ve F oxx | ooo), F (8ve F oxo | ooo), and F# (8ve F oxo | side E ooo) fingerings I'll be happy to add the Oleg.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a detail photo of the upper stack on the YSS-61. Since unlike the Mark VI, the touch points are on the key cups, I don't think the Oleg will fit easily. Maybe I just answered my own question?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts