Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have recently been searching for a baritone saxophone to practice and to take places so I don't have to take my selmer paris bari to many places seeing as it costs a pretty good amount of money. I recently saw a F. E. Olds Baritone Saxophone at a local music shop and was wondering if anyone had any input as to if it is a good horn or not. The bell keys need to be lined back up, but that was the only problem I noticed. They are asking $2000 for it. It is an FE Olds Fusion bari sax (na84bancss), so thanks for any input.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
I have the same saxophone, but in soprano form, so it's really not the same saxophone at all.

I can say this, it is the best cheap soprano I could ever ask for. Plays better than a Selmer.

As for the bari in question, if it's in perfect gig with it NOW shape, I'd pay the 2 grand. Get them to fix it first and then pay that much. My gut reaction is the price is high, but perhaps not too high if it's running right. Baris are often rediculous new even from the worst places in China.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Sounds like a lot to me. Look for a Vito or Whitehall low A as most were Yanagisawa stencils. They usually appear on ebay in the sub-$1,500 range. You may want to consider vintage as you can find Conns or Martins for under $1,500. I have a Martin in playing shape for $1,000 shipped US.
Make sure you play that Olds after it is adjusted and then make your decision.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
As said above, look for a Yani stencil (Vito, Whitehall), for around the same money. Olds is not known for saxes and this sounds like an import (with damage) of unknown quality. The lack of response here means that no one has experience with them. Yanigisawa has a reputation for making excellent Baritone saxes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a NA83BAN with low A and There are no problems. It is very responsive with good intonation. These are manufactured in Taiwan. I'm not sure about the price of yours. Mine was on eBay and in mint condition for $1200.00. I like this sax. I play a 1950 10M tenor and a 1972 Buffet SDA alto so this statement is made by someone who at has decent saxes to compare it with, though this IS the only bari I have ever played.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts