Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can hit an above the staff F (F6) with good tonality with little to no difficulty but for some reason, my F# (F#6) key doesn't work. and I have no clue why. It has no change in pitch or difficulty. and the key works as far as I can tell.

I use a 4- 4.5 reed on a Yamaha

any advice/ fixes?

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,075 Posts
Did it work in the past? Make sure you are pressing the correct alternative F# key. There are two; one for first and second octave and one for altissimo.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
I can hit an above the staff F (F6) with good tonality with little to no difficulty but for some reason, my F# (F#6) key doesn't work. and I have no clue why. It has no change in pitch or difficulty. and the key works as far as I can tell.

I use a 4- 4.5 reed on a Yamaha

any advice/ fixes?
Sorry, but what is your level of expertise (beginner, intermediate,...) ?
The goal of this question is not to shame you, but an answer would help to sort an operator error from a real technical problem.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, but what is your level of expertise (beginner, intermediate,...) ?
The goal of this question is not to shame you, but an answer would help to sort an operator error from a real technical problem.
intermediate I would say, but I also only play sax for jazz, marching, pep & honors. I am a concert and pit oboist otherwise. maybe that has something to do with it?

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,488 Posts
it has never worked as far as I can tell- and I am using the written fingering for F# rather than the altissimo
Could you take a picture of the key that you are pressing? As others (e.g., @lydian, @soybean) have suggested above, your horn might not have a high F# key and you might mistakenly be pressing the alt. F# key (which is usually located adjacent to the high F# key) instead.

EDIT: I just saw that you said your horn is a Yamaha. Which model? If it's a student horn like the YAS-23 or the YAS-26, then it does not have a high F# key.

· Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,594 Posts
If your horn even has a high F# key (still undetermined at this time…), then it should speak easily if you can play the high F with ease. What’s your sax? If you don’t know just post a picture of the RH area and yhe question will be answered.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Could you take a picture of the key that you are pressing? As others (e.g., @lydian, @soybean) have suggested above, your horn might not have a high F# key and you might mistakenly be pressing the alt. F# key (which is usually located adjacent to the high F# key) instead.

EDIT: I just saw that you said your horn is a Yamaha. Which model? If it's a student horn like the YAS-23 or the YAS-26, then it does not have a high F# key.
okay thank you so much, I do believe i was in fact pressing the alt key- thank you, I should be able to play F# with the altissimo fingering correct?

· Registered
9,629 Posts
Well, yes, there are several different altissimo fingerings for F# - it'll depend on your particular instrument which will respond the best and be most in tune. You need to practice all the alternate fingerings for any note that has alternate fingerings as you never know when you'll have a passage that needs one or another of them. The all-palm-keys high F#, for example, will be very awkward to get from, to notes that close the upper stack - so for example to go from the all-palm keys high F# to G, will be a real bear to get it timed right. What to do, what to do? Well, because I also regularly practice a high F# fingering of 1 3 4 (LH index and ring, RH index), I've got a fingering that is an easy transition from high F# to top of staff G.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.