Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received my Ed Zentera modified NY The WoodWind Co. tenor mouthpiece and I just couldn't be more pleased.

Ed took a B5 that I snagged on ebay, opened it to .096 and turned it not only into one of the nicest tenor pieces I've ever played, but into one that does exactly what I told him I was looking for.

These large chamber pieces work miracles on my vintage HNWhite, but now I'm getting a speed and responsiveness in the tip which seems totally modern and a more powerful, less diffuse sound, which still has that distinctive tubby buzzy vintage sound I'm looking for.

There's been some pretty lively debate about the value of refacing etc. lately, and while I'm sure there are lots of great new HR mouthpieces I could have bought for the $125 I put into this one, I seriously doubt any of them could be as completely satisfying to me as this one is. I really feel like this is my mouthpiece, that it was made by a master craftsman for me, and even that in a small way I participated in finishing it, and it's awesome and I really love it!!!

Thanks ED!!!!

ps. interestingly: a standard Rovner Dark lig does not seem to work on this piece at all. It just sort of kills it; the nasty looking old brass two-screw job that came with it seems, on the other hand, to work just great. I guess this indicates just how superbly resonant these old ebonite pieces are?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I'm happy for you Rory. What did you tell Ed you were looking for? Did you describe the sound? Did you cite other players as a reference point?

Oh. Post some pics too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DP.

Actually the words I used were "tubby" and "buzzy," and I may have said something about some older recordings, but the main thing I told Ed was that I was looking for a piece that sounded like the B5 I already had, but that I could use in a live setting.

Ed takes nice photos too!

Rory

·
Registered
150 Posts
My son has been playing a Couf 4*S (advised by chitownjazz-Thanks!) that he really loves but it tends to squeak now and then. He would sometimes swap it out for his metal Tone Master Link 5* that never squeaks. He's been playing a Couf opened to .075 by EZ and absolutely loving it. He says it's much easier to play and it never squeaks! EZ is a hero in our house! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts