Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey mouthpiece gurus, I tried PM'ing you and got denied....so I hope you read this and have some suggestions...=)

Wondering if any of you guys have ever had to do some touch up work on Rascher's?? I have one for each horn I own and all of them are just slightly off in one way or another, either the tip isn't symmetrical to the angle of the facing, or one rail is higher than the other or the beak opening is filed just a tad more on one side than the other.....

I love the pieces, but I was wondering if you've ever done a bit of touch up to make them more flawless, or if I'm just the lucky guy on the "hey send him the frigged up one" mailing list?...lol Thanks guys, drop a line here or PM me or something if you have inclination as to what I'm talking about or how to fix it...=)

- Pat

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
If they play well for you why do you want them worked on?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
EZ has done touch up work on several of my "magic" pieces. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.

I go by Jon Van Wie's advice: Send in your #2 mouthpiece for tweaking. If it betters your ol' #1 after refacing, iterate.

I've been following that advice for a few years now and have some most amazing mouthpieces.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They play well, however I'm to a point where I feel one of them could be holding me back, (the tenor is the major problem one, the sop and other alto pieces seems ok). I just want them to be looked over, hell I might just be anal-retentive and they might not need a damn thing, but at this point I'm almost willing to pay someone to look over them and tell me what they think...=)

I'm not a mpc geek...heh I don't know what opening I like, and how much to grind out a Link to get a growl at high A...ya know..I'm a classical player, I play what gives me the richest tone, and there are certain intonations and tone qualities that I really feel like might be contributed at least in part to some let's say "in-consistancies" in the Raschers....

- Pat

·
32,949 Posts
Carl H. said:
If they play well for you why do you want them worked on?
To make them MORE. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr G said:
To make them MORE. :D
Agreed....a perfect for instance, (only tenor classical players will get this I think, all 3 of them......), is the Pasquale piece. There is a technical measure in the second movement that requires a rampant 4th register turn, and then you land on a beautiful harmonic melody with the sax, with my Rascher the upper D that you land on gives off such a def tone that I almost want to lip up a closed D to that note for timbre sake....I've been playing this damn thing too long to rely on alternate fingerings for basic notes to sound in character.....

....after reading over this...maybe it's my horn.....*sniffle*...GAS attacks.....

·
13,033 Posts
Sounds like GAS to me.

Buy new versions of the pieces in question. Compare them. Send the lesser pieces in.

Never mess with your main piece.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree...I have Caravans and some vintage Bueschers/Martins I could use in the meantime, I really wanna see if this Rascher can sing, it's almost worth nearly ruining it to see if I can get anything else out of it.

Seperate note, Carl or G, if you play classical, ever tried a Morgan C piece? and how the hell do I know what # i need?...=P

- Pat

·
32,949 Posts
Hah, I guess you're new around here! ;)

Yes, I play the Morgan 3C. I have 4 of them right now - all refaced to circa .090" ala James Houlik. I also have an original Houlik/Bilger 'piece courtesy of a former student of his. The 3C is fine but the 6C is MORE. See Roger Aldridge's note of this past week that Ralph Morgan has finally seen fit to add the 6C as a standard size - vs special order. Available at Junkdude.com for one.

·
13,033 Posts
Migraine777 said:
Seperate note, Carl or G, if you play classical, ever tried a Morgan C piece? and how the hell do I know what # i need?...=P

- Pat
:twisted: Buy them all.:twisted:

Try contacting Ralph and see what he has to say/ask.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I read that post earlier this week, think I might have to grab myself a 6C and try er out...=)

And Carl.....I guess I need your payroll to hang out this late with you guys....=P

- Pat

·
Registered
654 Posts
Migraine777 said:
Agreed....a perfect for instance, (only tenor classical players will get this I think, all 3 of them......), is the Pasquale piece. There is a technical measure in the second movement that requires a rampant 4th register turn, and then you land on a beautiful harmonic melody with the sax
That brings back some (not so) fun memories. I still don't know how I got an A on my jury that quarter...

·
32,949 Posts
Was it during the fall quarter - maybe just before Christmas? ;)

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Migraine - I responded to your email at ayuden777 yesterday - someone's server must be sleeping.

I've not worked a Rascher before (I don't think), but I can't imagine it would pose any challenge I've not previously faced.

In regards to working only the tip, it can technically be done, though it may only be a partial solution and without also working the table and full facing, you may have to live with a slightly more open tip - not by much necessarily. The work can always be done in stages where I tweak the tip alone and integrate it as well as possible into the rest of the facing. Then if you feel it needs more, I can do more.

But please check your email for details regarding my rates and timeframe.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I do not like the way PM works on forums so I have it turned off. You can Email me via the forum. You can also visit my site and look for the contact info. My site is in all my signatures on this forum. Emailing via my site does not always work well. It is my one frustration with it. It seems to mis forwarding 1 out 20 messages or so. Emailing to [email protected] always works.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tully said:
That brings back some (not so) fun memories. I still don't know how I got an A on my jury that quarter...
Heh, I played this piece on my entry audition and Meghan cut me off BEFORE I got to this part...(I saw angels)...lol

- Pat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts