Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i have a problem with my band. my conductor wants me to make a solo for eye of the tiger. He gave me some chords to work with. i play the tenor saxophone.
the solo is 8 bars long and each chord is for 1 bar. the chords are the following:

DMi11
Bflat Ma7/D
CMa7/D
DMi11
GMi9
F(ADD9)
BflatMa7
A+7

im currently using this solo. its okay but it dosn't have enough energy and i dont like the feel of it.

if anyone could provide another example piece for me to try, it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
347 Posts
Look at your chords here. With a chord like Dm11, you should really bring out that 4th/11th! If you need to, just listen to that progression and "hear" the notes that you feel that progression wants to bring out. For a rock solo, I couldn't think of a better way to approach it.

HINT: Think about using that Dm11/BbM7 as an opportunity to make some really cool resolutions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I don't claim to be any kind of expert on rock soloing, but one of the easiest things to do (in any type of solo) is just embellish the melody. The solo that starts at about 1:30 starts off with an example of what I'm talking about. It's a guitar and not a sax, but that doesn't really matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bhXrmbMJQ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts