Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks
I just finished making this adaptive saxophone for a customer who only has one hand to operate the sax. To stay within budget restraints, I developed a novel key control systems, with dyneema cables. There is a one-legged stand that clicks on the sax, so it has a single support point on the ground. This allows the player maximum freedom to move around. There is also a side support so she can use her (barely functional) left hand to keep the horn in balance. It is a breeze to play. If you have any questions, fire away!
best regards from rainy Amsterdam!
Maarten Visser, www.flutelab.com
web site: http://www.flutelab.com/onehandsax.html

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,942 Posts
I've seen a couple of such mods, nothing as good as this.

One was done by Willie garnet for Dick HS, not because he only has one hand, but in order to play two saxes at the same time with the full range. He adapted a Weltklang (I think ) soprano to be played with RH while tenor played with left.

Another one was for player I knew at college who only had two fingers on his right hand.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be this guy, this is much better. Awesome job with the re-engineering!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I cant begin to fathom what is going on as I am not a tech. However, it is fantastic that some of you ingenious fellows are helping to make a sax for those who love it but lack accessibility.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Nice work mate, a credit to yourself, and Im sure the customer would have been excited.

Im always trying to learn more regarding modifications to suit people with dis-abilities, if you have more examples and are willing to share Im willing to learn

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
cool.

there was an article in the Sax journal some time ago about a one-handed modification for a Professor in the US who'd had a stroke and could only play one handed.
I'll dig it out and scan it for anyone who wants it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Amazing work, outstanding!

I've done key mods and suchlike, even made bespoke keys for players with disabilities, but this is far beyond anything I've undertaken.
I hope it brings you much more work in this field, and deservedly so.

Regards,

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Amazing work! The one suggested possible improvement to the string mechanism would be to add a small screw in the side of the levers where the string ties so that you could tie the string similar to the way one would tie a french horn string. I think tis would be a slightly easier way to take up the slack in the string and make adjustments for stretched strings.

I would like to see or have explaned how you got the string through the tubing. I can guess, but your skill at this must have reached superman status after all of that work.

Again, Superb, Bravo!

Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
outstaning fabrication skills. COngratulations from a mech gearhead, you're inspiring and humbling.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Stretched strings?
Nope, the dyneema will eventually fray but dyneema braid has very low stretch - it's my one and only choice in fishing line for that very reason.
It's a bit hard to gauge proprtions from the photo but I'd say that's at least 20lb breaking strain braid and good for many hours of playing before replacement.

Truly an ingenious modification and very impressive work.

Now, about those knots of yours... ;)

KennyD

1 - 20 of 39 Posts