Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Once again no clue where I should put this thread, sorry. :banghead:)

Everyone knows that some soprano/sopranino having a high G key and baritone/bass having a low A key, but why? I mean the sops already are really high and the bari/bass really low, what need is there to make them higher or lower. Or better yet, make the sops have a low A and the bari/bass have a high G. I just think it would be more useful that way.

-Tony

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Uh, that just gives them composers some ideas! :tsk:

I think the reason for a Bari to have a low A is to access the Cello's lowermost C, so you can easily (well...) adapt Cello voices to Bari.
(And I wish even student bass clarinets had a low D instead of just a low Eb for exact the same purpose)

Meanwhile a lot of arrangers *expect* these instruments to have those low keys. Modern literature on a vintage honker? Uh-oh.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the Bari adapting cello parts makes sense. The sops I still don't understand though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have two sopranos keyed to hi-G and two keyed to hi-F#, but I NEVER play those notes. Of course, I'm not reading charts, I improvise. Others, though, like to play that hi-stuff and I suppose being keyed to that range may be helpful to some. I know, I know - there's always fingerings for altissimo. There's no accounting for taste (or lack thereof) among some players and composers. DAVE

·
3,335 Posts
Steve Lacy did wonderful things with sop altissimo, and G is one of the most difficult alti notes on any horn.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks the Bari adapting cello parts makes sense. The sops I still don't understand though.
It's also good for playing with more rock/guitar oriented bands. Guitars will play C (A on baritone) chords a whole lot more than C# (Bb on baritone), and its nice to have the lowest note on a low horn come up frequently rather than rarely. I use low A in 1/3 songs in my blues band, while I only use low Bb once I think.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sops have high Gs because it's hard to play with altissimo fingerings?

·
6,831 Posts
Clarinet and flute parts use their upper and extended ranges quite regularly. The only reason for the key though, is for an F# to G trill, but if you know your upper partials, you can do that easily enough without the key anyway! Ya can't play Dixie on a Soprano sax w/out knowing High G and A!

·
6,831 Posts
Steve Lacy did wonderful things with sop altissimo, and G is one of the most difficult alti notes on any horn.
Altissimo G is easy on both Soprano and Alto. It's a bear on Tenor and Bari though!

·
6,831 Posts
So sops have high Gs because it's hard to play with altissimo fingerings?
Altissimo G for modern sopranos:

XOX/XOX

Altissimo A for modern sopranos:

OXX/OOO

Altissimo G on my old Conn curvy soprano:

XOO/OOO
palm f key + side A# key

For F# same but: XXO/OOO

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
Altissimo G is easy on both Soprano and Alto. It's a bear on Tenor and Bari though!
This is where player's differ though. I have no trouble getting a G3 on an alto or bari. It's a bear on tenor, and just about impossible for me on sop.

·
6,831 Posts
This is where player's differ though. I have no trouble getting a G3 on an alto or bari. It's a bear on tenor, and just about impossible for me on sop.
I know what you mean. I can hit G with a lot more regularity on Tenor now, more than I used to, but it still isn't near as reliable as on Soprano and Alto :) . Bari is a shot in the dark. It usually wants to jump to the higher partials (I have a hard time hearing how low Altissimo G really is on a Bari. Doesn't feel right, so I jump partials!).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks. I think I understand it now. Thanks everyone!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I use a high g on sop regularly. I even have a 'split' high G on sop. I play a YSS61, without a front F key. I use the this fingering: finger bis Bb,add rh 1 and side Bb plus open the lh F palm key.

No need no stinkin' G key.:)

·
8,588 Posts
I've never heard a pig moo before. How do you do that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
A good and very solid high G on bari (and tenor) can be played as high B with the high F# key (if a high F# key is fitted):

8ve xoo|o high F# oo.

There's plenty of room to fit a high G tonehole and key on baris, but it will involve fitting yet another long key rod.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts