Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find a decent Big Band/R&B piece that will work with my ancient Buescher baris, I happened to buy a BL 110/2.

Wonderful noises came from it, and the horn is perfectly in tune with itself. The one problem, is that the entire instrument is about 20 cents sharp with the mouthpiece on far enough to keep it stable.

I have another longer neck, but nothing other than a Strathon ever plays well (intonation wise) on that neck, and I'd rather use the original on it if I can.

I was really impressed with the Berg on this horn. Anyone ever welded a 1/2" on to the shank of a Berg before to keep it stable on a '50's horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
Yes. This has been done successfully. PM a member Jacques -- I believe he did this (or had someone do it).

·
3,292 Posts
And I've got a metalworker friend I could approach for you if you wanted to discuss feasibility / cost / time / etc. He's no fancy artist, but he does custom metal project work, and I expect it'd be affordable.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would want it to be as invisible as possible -- at least coverable with plating.

·
3,292 Posts
Frankly, you'd probably want someone fancier than my guy, then. I suspect his approach would be more practical, less fancy, and less $.

If you're interested, I see that MartinMods has a shank extender available on ebay right now for about $75. Search "shank extender". I don't know what your thoughts are on that subject, but anyway....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,765 Posts
Wil Grizzle made one for me. Not sure how much work he's doing these days but it'd be worth a phone call to find out.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frankly, you'd probably want someone fancier than my guy, then. I suspect his approach would be more practical, less fancy, and less $.

If you're interested, I see that MartinMods has a shank extender available on ebay right now for about $75. Search "shank extender". I don't know what your thoughts are on that subject, but anyway....
Lance or a removeable extender? :)

My thoughts on Lance are pretty clear in another thread. Regarding the mod, I'd rather make it permanant and as invisible as possible. A few bucks isn't going to matter to me if it meets the need.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wil Grizzle made one for me. Not sure how much work he's doing these days but it'd be worth a phone call to find out.
Thanks for the reference! I'll give him a ring on Monday and see what I find out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,591 Posts
will grizelle made all my bari neck extencions and can also extend mpcs too-great work

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried it with any kind of makeshift extension.

One worry for me would be that if it's in tune with itself at 20% sharp, once it's 20% flatter, there's a good chance it won't be in tune with itself anymore.
There is that risk. I tried it on the 2" longer Signet/400 neck, got the base pitch normalized, the everything from C3 up was seriously flat -- to the point the tuner recognized F3 as an E3 -- relatively in tune.

With the original neck I can keep it in tune by loosening up the embrouchure, but at that point where it works without losing the tone, the mouthpiece just isn't stable on the neck. Just thinking I need a little more meat on the end of the piece to get it to stay stable on the neck.

Pete, what would you suggest for a piece under this circumstance? I have a Rascher works quite well with the horn -- just way too dark.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Pete, what would you suggest for a piece under this circumstance? I have a Rascher works quite well with the horn -- just way too dark.
I really don't know. Obviously I should recommend a PPT, but I won't as I can't guarantee it will solve the problems as I haven't tried it with old Buescher baris, it would be a risk.

Have you tried a Link?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are you sure you didn't buy the Berg on e-bay with the bullet hole in the shank, and now you don't want to admit it? It's okay. Really. I almost bought it myself.

·
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:) Oh, I thought about that one. Bought a NOS one instead of used with custom ventilation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts