Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I checked the site and could not find any info on how to properly store an expensive saxophone for an extended amount of time ( maybe 6 months ). Have dental problems that need fixing so no playing for awile. Any help would be great.

:space3::line3:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'll store it for you ;-)

How about just in the case, in a place where it won't get temperature extremes and has a constant humidity?

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
When I went away on my first cruise ship gig, I stored my Mark VI soprano in the closet for 6 months without any special preparation.

It played the same when I got back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
As one of the posters said, humidity is one of the enemies, so are mold and... oxygen.
The following is what I did repeatedly with good results (up to 10 Mo. storage)

If your sax is silverplated, I'd recommend putting in the case a strip of 3M anti-tarnish (or equivalent).
Put humidity absorbers (silicone pellets) in the case.

Whatever you do, make sure the sax is dry in and out (including neck) before you close the case. Once I did not dry one of my saxes long enough before putting it away for a few weeks. When I opened, the lacquer was slightly pitted.

Good luck with the dental work.

PS. Obviously make sure the case will stay put in the same spot... Moving it from attic to basement is not a good idea (anyway those places where temps might fluctuate are not the best-- inside a bedroom closet or in the corner of a living area, on a shelf etc would be much better).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,283 Posts
I bought an alto(MKVI) that hadn't been played in three years. It played fine as is/was.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
If you are worried about 'bugs' getting in there and dining on your case lining you may want to hang a little cotton bag of Red Cedar chips from the handle of the case.
It might be safe to put it inside with the horn, but I'm not positive on that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took about that long for a dental episode and found that to be a good time to store my tenor at my tech's shop for a much overdue overhaul.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
Really 6 months is hardly an extended period of time to store almost anything that is not fresh food (dried stuff would keep longer).

Seriously as others have said there is no particular precaution other than keeping it in a cool dry place (and even these two things are to be extraordinarily cautious)
THink that that most instruments are kept longer without playing from many shops.

Be well, and concentrate on healing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a Selmer MkVI alto since I bought it new in '72.
Kept clean, dry and in the case (in my closet through 3 houses) with no special storage
and there have been years where I haven't played it since going to a tenor.
Still in mint condition.

(and before anyone asks, no it's never going on sale till I kick the bucket...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks alot. I have a dehumidified gun safe and was thinking of storing it there, but was afraid the dehumidification might harm the pads. Right now it is in a cool dark and dry place. It is a new series II alto. Just got it and the dental problem reared it's ugly head. Also thanks for the best wishes.:space3::line3:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts