Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been learning alto sax on and off for the past few years (following instructors and self taught by Pete's book), can't remeber the last time I touched the sax (shame on me). I thought I would give myself a brand new start again.

Seeing one second-hand Expression tenor saxophone (not sure of the model), the owner has been so nice to tell me that it was bought some 10 years ago, not used much. The buying price was over 1000 and the sale price now is near my budget. So I think it must be a decent instrument to go ahead, just wondering after 10 odd years, is it still playable? Given I am no expert on telling how well the instrument works. Could anyone help please.

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Hi all,

I have been learning alto sax on and off for the past few years (following instructors and self taught by Pete's book), can't remeber the last time I touched the sax (shame on me). I thought I would give myself a brand new start again.

Seeing one second-hand Expression tenor saxophone (not sure of the model), the owner has been so nice to tell me that it was bought some 10 years ago, not used much. The buying price was over 1000 and the sale price now is near my budget. So I think it must be a decent instrument to go ahead, just wondering after 10 odd years, is it still playable? Given I am no expert on telling how well the instrument works. Could anyone help please.

Thanks in advance.
€1000 or $1000? In any case it is a decent price tenor but 10years is a long time for a saxophone which may or may be not have been kept well (so think that you may need to spend money to have it brought back to life).

If you are looking at an overhaul (not impossible) then the price is to high because $1000 would buy you a Yamaha YTS 21-23 in perfect state ( and maybe for less). A Yamaha would resell for the money that you’ve paid, this horn may be a difficult sale should you ever want something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts