Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Or image distortion...

Best to have a reference object that is known to be straight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
Or image distortion...

Best to have a reference object that is known to be straight.
Exactly, also the reflections in the body can deeply influence the feeling of whether it is straight or bent. Best thing to do is to photograph as much as possible in rather small room with white walls and ceiling with natural light.

The neck should be laid down next to the middle of the picture because if you change the angle of the take it can easily appear distorted. Avoid shooting pictures with telephones!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Myeah I am not so sure the tube is bent..if it is, it really is relatively insignificant and a relatively easy fix.

Neck looks wrong given the pic.

I am more certain the two photos are the same photo....it would have helped to have an opposite side photo and then one straight on showing rear of tube.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
The neck should be laid down next to the middle of the picture because if you change the angle of the take it can easily appear distorted.
Yes I was looking at that a bit. it does seem the neck is actually mounted at not the usual angle to body, which can make it look funny.
Avoid shooting pictures with telephones!
LOL...and Ugh - I guess I am from an era/of an age where I still find a statement like this to be utterly hilarious....:cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t have the horn here, just a picture someone sent me. The good news is that if I actually decide to get it it is within an hour of my USA residence and I will have the opportunity to judge in person and decide to reject if necessary. Have requested better pictures

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Morgan. What is the deal with that crazy looking mouthpiece in your avatar?

draw a line in photoshop or whatever and the body looks straight. Neck might just be on at a funny angle.

·
38,885 Posts
drawing a line with photoshop or any other program will not tell OP if the distortion is camera induced or not.

The picture needs to be taken again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
drawing a line with photoshop or any other program will not tell OP if the distortion is camera induced or not.

The picture needs to be taken again.
Why are we assuming there is distortion? Seems like the reflection and the screwy lines behind it cause an optical illusion. Sure, a better photo would be better. But in this one the horn looks straight. How often do you see a photo of a normal looking horn and wonder if lens distortion is making it look straight when it's really crooked?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It's hard to tell with that photo because the lower part of the body, the rear edge, is darker than the bright highlight going all the way up the side. This lighging/reflection changes towards the top.

Definitely need better photos without distracting background reflections.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
If it is going to be bent, the bent tube will be near 2 close tone holes (i.e. G# and SKBb or palm D and B or C) where there is structural weakness in the tube.

Pulling the upper stack rod (assuming you can put it all back together) and seeing if it goes through all the posts without any problems is where you can see for sure (unless somebody has tries to fix it before and bent all the posts). Ideally, checking this with all the rods would be ideal, but sometimes you can't go through all that.

Try looking down the stack posts with the keys on and see if anything looks crazy.

·
38,885 Posts
Perhaps OP hasn’t got the horn and these are pics that someone sent him to sell it.

That’s why he is asking if it is bent, if he would have the horn he would see it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Earlier in the posts he says he dosent in hand and is going to look at it in person, why i suggested sighting down the stack rods.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t have the horn here, just a picture someone sent me. The good news is that if I actually decide to get it it is within an hour of my USA residence and I will have the opportunity to judge in person and decide to reject if necessary. Have requested better pictures
Perhaps OP hasn’t got the horn and these are pics that someone sent him to sell it.

That’s why he is asking if it is bent, if he would have the horn he would see it.
Yes correct.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts