Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A post in another thread inspired me to start another thread to inquire about experiences with synthetic pads on clarinets. My only experience has been with the Valentino Greenback Pads from JL Smith.

In the shop I worked in most student clarinet repads were done using Valentino pads as well a repads on older wooden clarinets with less than perfect toneholes. In our climate the Valentino Pads also work very well on piccolos since they don't swell when they get wet.

The Krause synthetics are arguably better, but the uses described above did not warrant the significantly higher price Ed charges.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
I have a 10 year old Buffet Festival Bb Clarinet with the original Gortex pads. Love the sound! I use this instrument ALOT. Only repairs I ever had to do were a couple key corks and tenon corks. The Pads have not shifted in any way EVER! Kraus sells gortex pads but they are like $9 each. If I had to do my clarinet over again - it would be with gortex pads - but I don't think that will be for a long, long time.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Àny other opinions on the Valentino Masters?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I assume they are foamed synthetic pads. I don't like such pads on normally-open keys on clarinets.
They have a microscopically "bubbled" surface and enough finger pressure must be applied to flatten those bubbles before a seal is made. Less finger pressure is required for a well adjusted traditional pad. This is particularly an issue for the F/C and E/B pads, operated by weak little fingers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts