Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! Does anyone have experience with the P mauriat system76 2nd edition curved soprano?
If yes, how's the intonation? Sound? And ergo?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I tried one of the curved P. Mauriats a while ago. The only thing I remember about it was that I really had to stretch to reach the left pinky keys.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! So it means the ergo is sth I have to pay attention to...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My first soprano was a curved Mauriat. It wasn't a system 76, but a PMSS-2400DK. It sounded great, but there was almost no tension in the springs. I had my tech put the springs to the highest tension possible, but it was still far too slack. The tech said he would have to drill the horn out for heavier springs for any further increase in tension - a very costly job.

And I tend to like my springs fairly loose - but the Mauriat springs were like overcooked noodles. There was almost no feedback whatsoever from the keys. My playing became much cleaner when I traded in the Mauriat for a Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um... looks like a Yani is a better choice...

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
876 Posts
I don't have the curved model but the P. Mauriat system 76 2nd edition straight DK soprano I have has very good intonation, perfect ergonomics, and unlike what was mentioned in an earlier post, the spring tension is just right on this model. I use an SR Tech Pro Metal mouthpiece with VanDoren 2.5 ZZ reeds, and to my ears, the sound is on the dark, mellow side.
If you have an opportunity, you should find a dealer so you can evaluate it yourself, which of course is the ideal situation.
Here is a good recording followed by the user's personal comment on the curved model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL1OQWEP5lk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the curved model but the P. Mauriat system 76 2nd edition straight DK soprano I have has very good intonation, perfect ergonomics, and unlike what was mentioned in an earlier post, the spring tension is just right on this model. I use an SR Tech Pro Metal mouthpiece with VanDoren 2.5 ZZ reeds, and to my ears, the sound is on the dark, mellow side.
If you have an opportunity, you should find a dealer so you can evaluate it yourself, which of course is the ideal situation.
Here is a good recording followed by the user's personal comment on the curved model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL1OQWEP5lk
Thank you for the reply!
i have watched this video before i started this thread, And in fact , this is the only review i can get online, therefore i decided to consult the gurus and masters here.

Actually i have heard some complaints over the springs of the PM horns, and me myself also find the 76 system Tenor very very very comparable to a good Mark VI tonewise. Yes, i intentionally put triple 'very' there, because they are very close. I am using a SBA, so, i will not buy the tenor, but i am interested in the 76 curved sop. I am using a #141xxx Mark VI sop from Horned Toad, it is fabulous, and leans to the dark side. So i don't mind if this curved little horn sounds a little bright. Just i am worried about the intonation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts