Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying one or the other.....the 550 is new the 520 is gently used & $200 less. both are in black lacquer. what is the difference? is the 550 a better horn?

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Difference in 550BC & 520 tenor sax

maybe the 520 is the alto? it's listed as a tenor though with a pic of a tenor. anyway, what I really was interested in was opinions of the AS550 tenor; so far I've "heard" it's a pretty good horn with good intonation.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ok, let's start over......opinions & impressions please on the older AS550BC Antiqua tenor. surely someone plays one, they made them up til about 2005......

thanks

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts

Yup, as we discussed yesterday, the 520 is an the alto within that line. I've changed the title of your thread accordingly for you.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, Mike
someone here has to have & play a 550 tenor.......

lol, anybody?

I did talk with someone in San Antonio about them who said they were excellent horns with good intonation, but I would rather hear from someone other an Antiqua rep..

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, here's a link to a pic of one.....

http://horndoc.com/shop/enlarger.php?pid=142&iid=1

from what I've been able to find out their design is based on the Selmer Paris Serie II tenor, has a darkish tone with excellent intonation & somewhere here I read that Mr. Kessler thought them good horns. that's reassuring, lol, cause I just bought one like in the picture but not that one.

the one I bought was new/old stock still in the plastic & box from a dealer who's going out of business up in Pennsylvania. his ebay feedback was extensive & a 100% positive. he has two more in the black nickle finish & gold lacquered keys, both new old stock at a very good price. if anyone is interested it's still listed on ebay under Antiqua tenor saxophones. mine was shipped today fedex. when I get it & have a chance to really play it I'll try to remember to post the impressions I have of it in case someone else ever wants info on this particular model. at this point I can't really give any as to whether it's good or not until the horn arrives & I get to play it.

quite a "looker" though

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you on the price as you show on the link, then you propobaly strike Gold.

As far as I know, both black Nickel and gold plating process has gone up price in at least 50% and so cause the price to raise up.

And that 550 is a excellecnt tenor, rich in sound, personally I think it is really a good gain for the market price level it is located.

of course, you got to play it to feel what I mean.

let us know how it turns out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I have touted (and tooted) this model since 2004 and made several positive comments in other Antigua threads, have you read those? BTW it's black chrome not laquer or nickle..I bought it new from Kessler's in 2004 for $995 so they have gone up considerably in price. I liked it so much I bought a black chrome Antigua alto as well, the power-bell version.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finally.......lol, I pd $899 for mine in the black chrome new old stock. I thought it a very good price for a new tenor even if it was the older model. yes, they have gone up, but that guy has two more of them, probably not for long though. I'm looking forward to getting mine. I'm trying to decide on a good mouthpiece now. it's a personal thing & may take some experimentation but I'd still like to hear what ya'll use too.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 29597 View attachment 29598 View attachment 29596 my 550 came today by fedex....dark tone, good intonation, plays well & sounds good; using a Vandoren V16 ebonite T6 piece on it. these are pretty decent horns IMO. I think I'm going to like mine just fine.

if anyone's interested the seller is lehigh conservatory, he's got an alto 520 (used) in black chrome on ebay & did have two more "new/old stock" tenors like mine I understood him to say. I don't see em listed though, but he may still have them. my first time to do business with him and one of the best sellers I've dealt with on ebay, pd the shipping too. all his feedback is 100% posiive & my experience was also very positive. since the tenors aren't listed he might have sold them already, dunno. I only mention it in case someone is looking, wouldn't hurt to ask.

for the money they're good horns (the 550's)....again, IMO or at least I think the one I got is. I'm already enjoying it.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Nice looking horn. Glad to hear it measures up in the build, sound and playability departments too.

I'm still going strong and satisfied with my 582 Soprano.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep, I've heard some good things about the Antiqua soprano, and not just from you either. I bought a soprano out of a pawn shop for $500 not too long ago (a J Erich) Brook Mays in Dallas carries em new (yes, they still have a few stores). it wasn't an Antiqua unfortunately, but the one I got is fairly decent, value for the money I thought or it was worth the $500 I pd. since I don't play soprano hardly ever (no parts for them in community band) it was just something to play around with mostly. I sorta wish now I had waited a bit longer & pd the difference to get the Antiqua model. it would have ran me about twice the pawn shop price but worth it. still....$500 saved is $500 when you're buying a horn "just to play around with"......my Selmer VII alto has seen a lot of use over the yrs and the Antiqua tenor will get played often too, glad I ran up on that deal......I'm really impressed with how far Antiqua has come in build & quality improvement over the past 10-12 yrs.....Cannonball too. of course the newer Antiqua's are even nicer, the ones I saw on Kessler's site.

lol, I made a "family picture" double click to enlarge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts