Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,882 Posts
In this situation I would simply say "since charts with specific backgrounds have not been provided I'll do my thing for backgrounds and stay out of the way. Any problem with that?".

The recorded parts were probably made up in the studio on the spot, anyway. I doubt that they have ever been written down.

The above assumes that you have the capability to make your own background riffs. Given the stated "smooth jazz" genre, that will be pretty easy.

And of course "when in doubt, lay out".
+1. Man, turf you seem to have the ability to read my mind. This is exactly how I'd handle it.

However, one or two caveats:

I'd listen to the tunes and if there were some 'signature' horn lines, I'd take a bit of time to learn them, assuming they weren't too challenging. Also I'd decide, based on the genre and overall song forms, if I could come up with reasonably good background lines or riffs. If the music was way outside my capability or not something I enjoy playing, I'd just decline the gig.

·
23,882 Posts
If it was MY name on the bill to draw a crowd, I'd want to make darned sure the rest of the band was up to speed. What a way to ruin one's reputation - having an un-rehearsed group of musicians who don't know the music I intend to play for a show. I could understand if it was a band intending to play standards, but self-generated tunes that no one knows? This whole scenario sounds wrong to me. DAVE
Dave, as usual makes a good point here. This also occurred to me, but I'm kind of assuming that the name artist is familiar with the band A Greene is with and comfortable having them as a backing band. But that's only an assumption. And yeah, if they are original ('self-generated') tunes, that's another red flag. Far better to have a well-rehearsed band, obviously.

·
23,882 Posts
Much of it is harmony parts with the lead line. Great arrangements just very specific to his tunes.
Somehow I missed this post earlier on in the thread. If this is the case, then yeah, I'd want to know the parts I'm expected to play.

Anyhow, how'd it get worked out?

·
23,882 Posts
It played out as I expected. The band received charts and recordings. Quick run through of the material 2 hours before the show with the artist to hash out set-list. He just wanted the group to play the charts (Regardless of any live videos) - keeping it simple but wait for cues to move from section to section. I played 3 original tunes out front with the group and came back at end to play over some Pop Medley - poorly trading 4's which was exciting (but difficult to hear myself - also expected)
Great. Sounds like all went well (aside from difficulty hearing yourself) and it was a good experience. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts