Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
It's quite possible the brand player realises they will walk away with a lot more money if they can get a local band to take the place of their own band. This happens a lot, and IMO it's an arrogant attitude to do this and not expect to pay the local band a reasonable fee for their work.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
UPDATE:
I just got off the phone with MY Quartet leader and shared the general SOTW consensus that charts should really have been included. He was in agreement but was having a difficult time communication the the Brand Name Player (who seems to be busy all the time).
Brand name players normally have managers to deal with this sort of thing. But it sounds like you are being hired not by him but by the event promoter, that is who should be paying you adequately for your time and expertise.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
It's rock star behavior, plain and simple.
Some Rock stars. Fats Domino, Chuck Berry would expect you to know the parts (especially as they weren't written down ofd course). Others pay for rehearsal when you are expected to learn a show (e.g. Joe Jackson, Richard Thompson etc.)

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Unless the gig is as it sounds to me. Listen to the songs and learn where to fill the holes.
I'd say this comes under being paid for your time transcribing and/or learning. Don't forget the original question is asking what working pros do. For all working pros I know, time = money. Although I may often do things pro bono if I want to, I don't expect other pros to learn something without being paid for rehearsal or learning in their own time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts