Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just want to share this good exercise that I'm practicing in these days.
The first part is about ear training, identifying the intervals of the melody and then trasposing them in a new key connecting the last note to the first one of the new key.
The second part is more technical because you must figure out where those intervals are on the saxophone....
anyway my video will explain it far better than my words! I am not a native speaker...
You can apply this exercise to every melody...you can go from simple to brutally difficult!
Hope you enjoy it.
Click on the button to enable english subs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
That kind of interval training is great. I do it all the time in my head, just figuring out what note of the chord/scale the song starts on and what all the intervals are. You can check me on this but in this case I think the tune he's doing starts on the I, II, III, V - IV, I, II, IIIb.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you 1saxman.
You are right if you consider the melody as a "standalone entity".
In this exercise if you want to go deeper you can relate the melody to the chords.
The first note, the I, that is E on tenor is the 5th of the Amaj7 chord, ond so on....in this way you can discover how that note sound over that chord instead of how the melody sound without the harmony.
This can train your ear more and you can develop a quicker way to transpose the melodies on the fly and pre hear the harmony underneath.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Great stuff, bb! I do this sort of thing all the time with melodies, licks, riffs, ii-Vs, etc. Moving from one key to the next and 'thinking' in numbers and intervals to make the shift to a different key. I also like your idea of singing the melody each time, which really gets it in your ear/mind.

I also agree that it's highly valuable to know where each note fits in the underlying chord (the 5th or 3rd of the chord, etc).

Aside from all that, you get a damn fine tone on the sax. Seriously, a really beautiful tone quality. Much appreciated.

p.s. Oh and yeah I love that tune. Gotta work on that one...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JL, I am mainly a baritone player 80%, but I also love to play tenor 20%.
In the past it was the opposite, but since I like the baritone more, and did lots of jam sessions and sitting in with bari, now I play mainly the baritone.
I think that I have a better and more distinctive sound on bari, but I am glad that you like my tenor tone!
I am a big Zoot Sims and Dexter Gordon fan.
I listen to, and transcribe other musicians, but I think that Zoot and Dexter are my major influences, but I think that my sound is different from them...they are too incredible, you can't have a tone like them oh god!
if you want to follow me you can subscribe to my channel, a new episode every week.
Click here if you want https://bit.ly/2uHXe87

1 - 5 of 5 Posts