Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lucky enough to play regularly with a guitarist who can play a wide variety of music. Ragtime, modes, harmonic exercises, tweaked standards, and folk tunes come at me one after another. Great exercise in trying to be relevant with all these different styles.

Here's an exercise in fourths he lays down then doubles up on. The exercise part for me is to find a melody to impose within this that will bring it together as a piece of music. It's spontaneous and 100% improvised. The second link is the guitar by itself if you wish to give this a try.

http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/forth-dimentia

http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/guitar-fourths-exercise

Can post more of these if anyone is interested. The object is less a matter of trying to find soft landings (chord tones) but based more around finding a melodic line within a non melodic backing.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, totally unaware of it. Well bust my chops, I guess there is somthing like this out there. What's the saying? "nothing new under the sun". Do any of the improvs or exercises in there resemble this?

Thanks for the clue up.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have checked out Wil Greenstreet's Fourth Obsession book. Seems that these are exercises in playing forths in various patterns rather than playing aginst forths and trying to find a melodic pattern. So something quite different.

Still good to know that there are these resources out there. Cheers,

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see there are some downloads of the guitar by itself, which I hope means that we will see some of your interpretations posted sometime soon. As said I feel very lucky to have this resource and am happy to share lots of these guitar background pieces so that others can have the opportunity to create their own improvisations. Only caveat is that you can't use them to make $$ without going back to the guitarist. Let me know if this is your intention so I can put you in touch with him.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Glad to see there are some downloads of the guitar by itself, which I hope means that we will see some of your interpretations posted sometime soon. As said I feel very lucky to have this resource and am happy to share lots of these guitar background pieces so that others can have the opportunity to create their own improvisations. Only caveat is that you can't use them to make $$ without going back to the guitarist. Let me know if this is your intention so I can put you in touch with him.
Cheers.
This sounds like a great idea Wade, I will try and have a go at this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
While this is certainly a pattern in 4th's I think most people would recognize it
as the cycle of 5ths. E - A - D - G - C - F - Bb - EB - Ab - Db - Gb - B - E .........

I have always thought the cycle of 5ths is misnamed and should be called the
cycle of 4ths, but I see the logic. E is the 5th of A, A is the 5th of D etc. Or you
could consider these intervals as going down. E down to A is a 5th. E up to A
is a 4th.

So with this pattern all your stock IV - VI - II - V - I should fit, I would imagine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
The thing I liked about it was that this cycle never lands on a tonic. The 'cyclical' sound appealed to me. And of course a grouping of three of these are perfectly diatonic ( let's say G C F).

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
This seemed like a fun idea to explore - here's my take on alto

fourths
i liked your take on this. you had a lot of really cool ideas, many of which i probably would have also tried to play as well. gmta! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Lots of imagination Rennie - excellent
Nobby - Very melodic. You seem to have found a tonal centre there. Also excellent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
"Invitation" is a nice study in fourths!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Thank you, Tim, HawaiiansaxMan (i'm waiting for your take now..), Kavala! Above all, thanks to you Wade for proposing this - and giving a great example with your recording.

I'll try another approach with this one for sure - it's a good exercise for freeing your mind.

Beautiful take on this one, Nobby Keyes - I held my breath listening to how your melody unfolded.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Cool Wade. BTW I'm joansing for your Alto piece. It was great. An RPC 80 with high baffle. I like your tenor tone also.Nice. Now run your chords chromatically, up and down in minor thirds, up and down in whole steps, etx. Great work. K

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Beautiful take on this one, Nobby Keyes - I held my breath listening to how your melody unfolded.
Thanks Rennie, thats a really nice of you to say that. I've listened to your take and yours is much more what I would have liked to have played myself. It's not easy to play with a continual flow, whereas with mine, playing slower gives me more time to think!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts