Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Vento series 900 Big Bell Tenor Saxophone from the folks at MusicFactoryDirect.com Beautiful instrument with sort of a black/silver body with brass underneath and a phosphor bronze bell and neck. Plays very easy for me as just a newbie to Saxophone. It has Rolled tone holes which was told to me makes the pads last longer and seals better, adjustable thumbrest, engraving INSIDE and lots on the outside of the bell, as well as on each Cup for the tone holes and neck, and along the body lenght up to the neck. Beautiful engraving work too I might add. Here is what it looks like and sounds like:

Really was impressed with the center F key that you press as an alternate to the palm key. Some of the others I have tried open only so much, but this one opens up just as much as if you pressed the palm key, and the tone is spot on!

Some of the features are:

The 900 series Yellow Brass Tenor Saxophone has a Broad Phosphorous Bronze Bell that Projects.
Engrave Neck, Body, Bell, and Keys for a dazzling effect.
Drawn and Rolled Tone Holes matched with High Quality Leather Pads
Rollers on Little Finger Spats and Abalone Key Buttons
Double Cup Arms on Low C, B and B-flat. Also includes, Neckstrap, Mouthpiece, Ligature, and Case.

I can take pictures and post if anyone would be interested....

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,898 Posts
Sounds like a great horn, I hadn't heard of those.

One thing though, if you are talking about the aux F key, it very often works best when not venting as much as the palm keys. Some people actually modify this key to open even less.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
Did you buy it directly by calling MFD? I dealt directly by phone last year and bought a tenor. They were completely professional and went one step beyond in getting the horn I wanted for a price that was simply incredible.

I have been looking at these Vento horns and they appear to be a Tenon Industrial Product which in my opinion are knock out horns for any price.

Keep us updated please.

B

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only live about 60 miles from MusicFactoryDirect, and had the chance to play test instruments before Ibought. The rolled tone holes seem to make quite a difference. One thing I did was make a minor adjustment to the one large key (middle one on bell). It has kind of like a set screw and I adjusted it so that it gave enough solid contact to the link to the bottom tone hole key, but did not put too much restriction on the middle tone hole key. It makes it play very well with that key pressed down and does not allow an air leak there. Too much and it would hold up the key on that point and air would leak and it would give problems. Too little pressure (with that adjustment screw) and then the bottom key would not close tightly. I put in a portable long florescent light at night and watched the bottom tone hole for light leak and adjusted accordingly. For a beginner it plays EXTREMELY well for me. I can play Frosty The Snowman, Hey Jude, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and some other Christmas and other songs on it. Bought my FIRST Saxophone from them MFD on the 8th of December. Never played or even held a Saxophone before that. Starting out at 59 years of age, with new false teeth, but ... I love the sound of the Saxophone! By the way did you notice that it has double cup arms on 3 of those larger tone keys?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
That is great that you got to try it out at the showroom. I have noticed the double arms and the rolled tone holes.

Your horn looks a lot like the Orpheo Signature tenor that I am currently selling here on sotw but without the rolled tone holes.

Welcome to the world of sax playing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pictures are always nice....

vento_body_engraving.jpg
Middle body engraving showing rolled tone holes as well.

vento_bell_engraving.jpg
Right side of the bell showing engraving on bell and keys. If you look at the tone holes on the bell you will see the rolled tone holes.

vento_double_arms.jpg
Lower part showing the double arms on the 3 keys.

vento_inside_bell.jpg
Inside the bell engraving.

vento_neck_engrave.jpg
Engraving on the side of the neck.

There was some time spent to do all this engraving.
If you notice on one of the pictures you see a slight gray smudge. I put that there intentionally. It is Molybdenum Disulfide aka "Molly" a dry lubricant. VERY effective lubricant. It is used in various industries as a superior lubricant, and I have some since it works with my reloading and accuracy. I had one of the tone hole stick down, slightly, when released. I had not noticed it at first, and it was actually stuck in the shut position. Lacquer coating causes much of the sticking. This "molly" is applied with a very small dab on a Q-Tip, tapped off back into the container first and then applied to the tone hole/leathers. It is nearly microscopic in action and adheres so well you don't want to get it on your dinning room table.... trust me. Anyway, after applying it made the "sticking" pad excellent (non-stick) I applied it here and there as a precaution. It won't affect the longevity of the pads negatively, and might just prolong them from the fact that they close and open without any adhesion what-so-ever. Just in case you all wondered what the odd picture was with the gray on the leather pad...it's me. I'm a winemaker with chemistry background and I'll tell you, "Molly" is, or should be, a near perfect anti-sticking solution to any tone holes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of the neck clamp, which I thought was rather well done

vento_neck_attach.jpg

And, this is a closer look at the rolled tone holes....

vento_rolled_tone_hole_closer.jpg

The guy that did the engraving was VERY good at what he does, as evident in the closer picture of the tone hole.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome Brian! I really like this Tenor!! It has a beautiful low tone to it and doing some stuff on it great. Since I am a beginner I think the rolled tone holes and the good fit of the keys and pads to seal really help me to blow decent notes. Intonation sounds spot on, and is verified with my Korg Chromatic tuner.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
The horns MFD is selling are extremely nice and affordable. The staff is knowledgable and helpful in getting what you need.

From all indications your horn was probably manufactured by Tenon Industries in Vietnam. I have played several of the Tenon horns and have always found them to be very under rated and favorably comparable to other horns costing thousands more.

Please keep sotw up to date on how your playing is going and how the horn is holding up with time.

B

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to add another discovery. I read at this site of Selmer-Paris, about their "BOOSTER" inside neck bore offered as an option on some of their Selmer SA80 Series II and Series III saxophones. http://www.selmer.fr/instruinfo.php?page=GEN&famille=SELMER%20SAX

Well, tonight, after I was done practicing I ran the neck bore swab down it and then had one of those " I'll be damed" moments. The inside of this neck also has circular ridges in it similar to the Selmer. It was a feature that came with the Vento model 901-VETS900BL Saxophone as standard.

Picture of the inside of the neck, of which these ridges go down as far as the ridge that stops the insertion into the neck. I also am amazed at how much it shows up the outside where I had put cork grease and the rubbing of the motion to insert the neck.

vento_900_neck-booster.jpg

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
Vern it is nice to see that you are diggin' the new horn.

My wish is that MFD did not discontinue the Orpheo Signature line of horns nor offer a copper straight soprano when they were. Great horns for any amount of dinero.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might make the few that are out there all the more valuable then.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This link that interinfo provided appears to be the only place I know of that sells the Vento 900 with the black body: link: http://instrumentfast.com/product/IF67796117

I am curious if the company, Instrument Fast, is in any way related to the Music Factory Direct down in Indiana?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts