Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only problem is I can't remember who hired me or where we are playing. Has this ever happened to you?

CB

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Yup, a couple of times actually. But I have called the likely band leaders and asked them something else and finished with "Great, so I'll see you later. Hey, aren't we working together soon? I don't have my gig diary in front of me." While I realise the potential for misfire, this actually worked in both cases.

I have a code in my diary for who I'm working with, but I hate those occasional entries that miss the key details. I love email and or SMS but why is it that so many leaders are technologically challenged?

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Never.

I did show up at the wrong venue for a IA gigthat I thought was in the 5000 seat hall. Turns out it was out at the 12000 seat arena. After that, I always confirmed and wrote down everything about calls.

My friend Ollie Mitchell, who was an LA session guy, still has his books from the 60s and 70s. He used them to reconstruct what sessions he'd played when other records were unavailable. Otherwise he would have forgotten 2/3 of the soundtracks/albums/etc. that he was on.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the guy I met and played one tune with and was going to email the info.......so I guess I have a gig

Just tryin to be funny

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
I have learnt to backup my appointments online via google Calendar.
even if I lose my phone, I will keep all my contacts and appointment details.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a wonderful time. The bass player is one of the best in town and they brought in a kid who just finished his first year on guitar at UNT a very special talent and very nice.

I even played flute. I feel like myself again.

Goodnight

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
No, not that. But once our keyboard player took a gig and then got really confused/mixed up/brain fart/senile and rang us all up to give us the next few weeks gigs to put in our gig books and on this one night I appeared at one venue to find a band already setting up, the drummer went somewhere else, the bass player yet another venue and the keys player sat at the correct place fuming about the rest of us and our ability to be reliable.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts