Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Excellent experience with the Boston Sax Shop / Jack Finucane

My recent purchasing experience of a Mark VI tenor from Jack Finucane at the Boston Sax Shop went flawlessly. Before buying an expensive horn through the mail or internet, I evaluate risk/cost vs benefit of each purchase. I have purchased horns from PMWoodwind and several SOTW members and all of the transactions went smoothly and without regret. Each horn that eventually has turned out to not be “the one” has been sold with either a minor profit or loss.

In this case, the horn was mentioned in a post by another member of STOW as one that played well, but wasn’t quite right him. I looked at the detailed photos of the horn on the Boston Sax Shop website, called Jack Finucane and reviewed the playing characteristics and condition of the horn with him. We also discussed his return policy should it not prove to be the horn for me, for any reason. I then asked a few other STOW members and independent tech/dealers of their knowledge of Jack Finucane and Boston Sax Shop and their thoughts were all quite positive.

I received the horn promptly after making payment, well packed in a second hand but solid SKB case. Jack had emailed me with photos of the horn within its packing material and a FedEx tracking number. The horn arrived in exactly the condition as pictured.

After a day or two of putting it through its paces and making my decision, I emailed him about a warble I was getting on a low Bb. In no time, were speaking on the phone and I was playing the horn and checking the G# key and whatnot to diagnose the problem. He reiterated that he would honor his return policy, and further suggested that if I wanted to take it to a local shop to have it adjusted for any needed adjustments that might have become necessary in the shipping process he would pay for them. As it turns out, no adjustment was needed- the warble only occurred with one particular mouthpiece and I don’t think I could make it warble if I tried now.

I did get the neck recorked since the cork was needing some teflon tape for a couple of my favorite pieces. Because the cork was exactly as picture in the photos, I did not ask for him to pay for the recorking.

I decided to keep the horn since it plays just fantastically, the keywork smooth and fluid, and has at least as good intonation of any horn I have ever owned, modern or vintage. (This is a 104xxx with a high F# key, btw.) I think the price was fair for today’s market and I am quite happy with the horn and with the transaction.

I will do business with Jack Finucane in the future and would recommend doing business with him and the Boston Sax Shop without reservation.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,025 Posts
I had Jack do an overhaul on my 82Z tenor and have my saxes adjusted by him regularly, and there is no one else I would bring them to. I have sent people to him to purchase saxes and they all came away happy. Great guy who does great work. Glad it worked out well for you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Another vote for Jack. I gladly travel two hours each way to have him work on my horn and to hang out at his shop. His overhaul on the VI I’ve had since high school absolutely transformed that horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
861 Posts
My Sax tech sends his most challenging repair projects to the Boston Sax Shop, and he tells me that the work Jack does is great.

BTW, It would be nice to see the prices for the necks (and anything else for sale) on the web site.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey, I think I know exactly what sax you're talking about! The one with the silver keys? TREMENDOUS horn, glad you like it! Jack's super great, pretty much every sax player in New England goes to him

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,966 Posts
Wow. I was wondering about the BSS/Jack quality of work because I really would like to get a real artist's quality overhaul on my VI tenor. The only problem is its a 12 hr drive. Does he ship?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I think I know exactly what sax you're talking about! The one with the silver keys? TREMENDOUS horn, glad you like it! Jack's super great, pretty much every sax player in New England goes to him
Yup, that's the one- thanks for the tip in your post, Homely Saxman! It is a really great horn- I'm loving it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,235 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.