Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread title pretty much sums it up. I use a Morgan 7L for my jazz gigs and I'm in love with the dang thing...to my ear it's like dark chocolate and maduro cigars. However I still do lots of blues and rock stuff where it's a tad TOO dark and in those situations I've been using the Rico Metalite I've played for years. Gotta say tho now that I've been playing the Morgan awhile I'm really not digging the Metalite and I'm playing it in louder situations strictly for its cutting power. So I'm wondering- would an Excalibur (E or EL) be that much brighter than my 7L or would it be more of a subtle difference? I'd really like to get the other qualities of the 7L, the smoothness, great intonation, etc. and just have the sound be brighter.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Maybe you'll like it. When I tried contrasting the L and EL, my thoughts were "OK on the L - actually quite good" and "EL sounds trashy".

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would say that the EL has greater projection. Tonally, they are not all that much apart, but you get the feeling that you are giving it just a bit more with the EL. In spite of this, I stay with the L on tenor (where I have the choice).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Without getting too much into semantics I would definitely describe the Excaliburs as being brighter than the Jazz models - maybe this is what Pinnman describes as projection. I started on 8L then went to 8EL and now play a 6E (on a Conn Tranny) - I think the Excaliburs are a good compromise - you can get good 'cut' without losing too much depth of tone.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Well, the way I see it, the EL cuts through more. I can get much the same tone from the two, but find, when I play that is, that the L is more flexible.

But I agree that it is very difficult to convey one's ideas when the same words may well have different meanings to different people.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flexible- true that. I find the more I play the L that I'm able to get a wide variety of tones from it. At first I had a hard time just making the thing work, after having played the Metalite for something like 18 years. Quite a different piece indeed. Maybe I'll try playing a plasticover on the L and see if that gets me a bit brighter...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Yepper.

What lig are you using? The wrong lig can damp the high freqs that you crave.

Are you aware of playing to the bright side of the 'piece? If not experiment with tongue and throat position to dial it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts