Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For years I’ve fancied getting some kind of wind controller to allow me to get my expressivity into a sequencer (not a great pianist) and expand possibilities. I also like the idea of silent practice when the child is in bed, however I understand that EWI is different enough that this probably isn’t really a possibility.

I may decide to use the EWI live at some point, we’ll see.

Just wondering if the 5000 is really worth the extra cost? Having read around it seems as if most people don’t use the built in samples so the wireless capability seems not a great improvement.

I understand that the octave range is reduced and mechanism different on the USB, and there are some other control differences, as well as the fact that 5000 is newer and I guess may not be superseded as soon, so in people’s opinions are these worth the extra cost/any other thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have had the EWI USB for a number of years. It has been fun and interesting to use. That said, it really is a dumb USB controller, so you must be tethered to a computer to play the instrument. This means that I have to carry a MacBook with me when using it live. The included software is kind of limiting, but it is easy to use with Garage band too. I have also figured out how to trigger multiple soft-synths at the same time to do some interesting layered effects.

So.....if you don't plan to use the instrument outside of the house extensively, the USB instrument could be a very good introduction.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also having 8 full octaves is actually one of the coolest things about the EWI as opposed to a sax. I actually really like the synthy built in sounds of the 4000s and chose that over the 2 that you're currently considering. I can always hook it up via midi to use sample based sounds or attach a small wireless pack to it which covers both of the new tricks that the 5000 has.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I really think you’d be better off looking at the Roland Aerophone. EWI’s have a steep learning curve with the touch-sensitive keys and octave rollers and unless you’re really committed to learning how to play the instrument, I think you’d have a much easier time with the Aerophone.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Maddcow, I have considered the Aerophone, but it’s just too expensive really to be an option.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My experience may not be typical but I had an extremely easy time adapting to EWI and was gigging on it within a week of owning one. Learning how to set them up correctly can make a huge difference I think. Alastair Parnell has a great series of videos on YouTube about getting started on EWI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts