Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, does anyone here encounter problems on the octave rollers of the EWI USB?

My EWI USB's top 2 octave rollers do not respond at all, but the bottom 2 do. I tried all the solutions suggested in the AKAI homepage, e.g., wipe with dry cloth, use non-greasy hand cream, recalibrate the EWI, reset my Mac and the software, but the rollers are still responding none. I just bought it a bout a month from Gigasonic.com.

Does anyone experience this ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i 'm having same problem with my ewi usb , it plays only two octave &? not the 5 as akai claims, i'm really disappointed .... by this garbage.
i wish i had rather bought the low end real saxophone..... :(

if any one know the solution please let me know .....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The sound source your driving with the EWI has to support the 5 octave range. Since the aria softsynth is based on samples some sounds don´t cover the whole range, only the range the samples sound good. Try to play the EWI into a sequencer and record the midi data. See if the midi data covers the whole range. If yes, your EWI is working. Just the sound doesn´t. You´ll need a different synth or sound programming.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i 'm having same problem with my ewi usb , it plays only two octave &? not the 5 as akai claims, i'm really disappointed .... by this garbage.
i wish i had rather bought the low end real saxophone..... :(

if any one know the solution please let me know .....
I solved the problem by disassembling the whole thing apart. My problem, according to my observation, is due to the unclean roller ends. It's definitely easy to disassemble it, but you may need some "force" during the process. I took the roller part out, and unscrewed the screw holding the roller. Then just clean up or wipe up the roller end, and reassemble it, the problem is solved.

one more thing, if you take away the little metal screw ring holding the roller, then the top and bottom rollers are free to roll now.

hope all these can help you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I regret for buying it too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear friends ,
thank you for your kind advice.
i'm going to try every thing this weekend , & hope to solve this issue.
let you know as i ll be done ....
thanks & regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi lorentz ,
thank you for your advice , i opened my EWI usb ( could not resist to wait till week end) & found that main board connector was not snapped properly with the octave board by means of white connector , i think akai do not have quality control on assembly line
so i snapped the connector properly ( did not dare to disassemble till the roller due to complexity :{ )
& it started working ...... in my opinion u may had the same issue of improper snap connection due to poor QC of Akai ..... & the poor customer service did not took a pain to address me on this issue ....
but any way .... thanks a lot to you & all other members . regards & cheer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to thank the group for posting this. I received my Akai EWI USB yesterday and got it from someone on ebay who had a 4000s and bought it for a backup. He said that he didn't like the differences in the way it played. Duh! I too had only two octaves. I took mine apart and found the connector for the rollers to be very loose and sloppy. I gently bent all the pins down in the direction that would put more pressure on the contacts in the mating plug. I also found the screw that held the groud wires, there at the roller, to be stripped. I replaced that screw and now I have 5 octaves. Before even the two octaves were sparodic and unreliable. Now the five are exactly as they should be, up is up and stays there down is down same thing. As a couple of asides. Be very sure to route the hoses carefully. I also moved a wire that was grouped in with the two hoses over to the adjacent notch in the ewi body as nothing was there. I did pinch the hose that goes to the bottom for "condensation" and had to replace the hose from a local h/w store. Also a small plate from under the mounting bracket of the octave rollers fell out during movement when disassembled. I hadn't noticed it before and it took a couple of trys to get it back in right. It goes in with the tab facing rearward and down towards the rollers. Also on reassembly I used a knifeblade and flashlight to properly allign the plug that connects the top to the bottom. When done everything aligned perfectly and played beautifully. Thanks again, Ken

·
Registered
25 Posts
You chaps have me worried now! I have a bid in on ebay as we speak on a usb ewi. I used to play wx11 some time ago for live performance until some nasty individual stole it.
I have the live bug again and though the usb isn't ideal for performing from what I have read I may have no option as I can't afford much else. If however it turns out to be too flimsy - I may have to start saving my pennies again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To me, the ewi usb is quite ideal for performing. It's smaller and lighter than the 4000s, and doesn't need a midi interface, which is one less thing I need to remember to bring. I would rather bring my 4.5 lb computer to the gig, than 20 lbs worth of rack mount synths, which probably are less flexible than my laptop sounds. I have a setup with a very small footprint that is light and portable. If you use high quality hardware and software (which to me is a a Macbook + Propellerheads Reason) you should have no problems, and endless sound generation possibilities.

Drop me a line if you have questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to thank the group for posting this. I received my Akai EWI USB yesterday and got it from someone on ebay who had a 4000s and bought it for a backup. He said that he didn't like the differences in the way it played. Duh! I too had only two octaves. I took mine apart and found the connector for the rollers to be very loose and sloppy. I gently bent all the pins down in the direction that would put more pressure on the contacts in the mating plug. I also found the screw that held the groud wires, there at the roller, to be stripped. I replaced that screw and now I have 5 octaves. Before even the two octaves were sparodic and unreliable. Now the five are exactly as they should be, up is up and stays there down is down same thing. As a couple of asides. Be very sure to route the hoses carefully. I also moved a wire that was grouped in with the two hoses over to the adjacent notch in the ewi body as nothing was there. I did pinch the hose that goes to the bottom for "condensation" and had to replace the hose from a local h/w store. Also a small plate from under the mounting bracket of the octave rollers fell out during movement when disassembled. I hadn't noticed it before and it took a couple of trys to get it back in right. It goes in with the tab facing rearward and down towards the rollers. Also on reassembly I used a knifeblade and flashlight to properly allign the plug that connects the top to the bottom. When done everything aligned perfectly and played beautifully. Thanks again, Ken
Definitely there is an assembly issue with the EWI USB and the octave rollers. I also got mine a week ago and two of the rollers were not working. I disassembled the device, released the front and back rollers, put them back together again and now I have all the octaves working. I don't know if it's the connectors , the rollers or any other cable , the bottom line is that there is something in there which is badly assembled or loose and the thing does not work.......AKAI , get your act together!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
To me, the ewi usb is quite ideal for performing. It's smaller and lighter than the 4000s, and doesn't need a midi interface, which is one less thing I need to remember to bring. I would rather bring my 4.5 lb computer to the gig, than 20 lbs worth of rack mount synths, which probably are less flexible than my laptop sounds. I have a setup with a very small footprint that is light and portable. If you use high quality hardware and software (which to me is a a Macbook + Propellerheads Reason) you should have no problems, and endless sound generation possibilities.

Drop me a line if you have questions.
I wholeheartedly second what Chris is saying here. I have an EWI 4000 which had a minor malfunction over the weekend - 3 hours before I was to play a gig I play 70% EWI on. What fun...

I had to very quickly get my hands on an EWI and could only find a USB model. Now, while I don't really like the build of the USB vs the 4000 I do like how compact and light it is. I used to carry a 10 space rack full of gear, plus cables and misc junk to bring my EWI out. Now I have a two space rack bag with a power conditioner, audio interface and MIDI router plus a MacBook Pro running Logic and Reason, in addition to several sample and synth libraries. I'm yet to find any situation I'm unable to cover with that sonic "trickbag." Reason alone is just killer for EWI. It has amazing MIDI routing and breath control possibilities. also there are a number of inexpensive custom wind synth libraries available for Reason. One of my favorites is the Cyclone from ewireasonsounds.com.

FWIW, the malfunction of my EWI appears to have been condensation buildup to the point the upper three octave rollers and the LH1 & LH 2 contacts were malfunctioning. After drying it out over the weekend, it was working fine Monday. Moisture, dirt, liquid etc. can short out the internal connections or cause it to bridge between the internal contact points making it behave really strangely. It's happened to me on a few occasions. I honestly believe these issues are design and quality control flaws in the instrument but getting Akai to address these issues for such a small market instrument is proving very difficult.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts