Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just go the EWI USB and I am pretty psyched. The only problem is I am making myself dizzy trying to blow air through it. The thing lets such a small amount of air through it that I can't breath in after playing a line because I haven't hardly let any air out! Does anybody know about increasing the airflow in these things? I found an article on the internet that recommended nobody try this particular way because it is dangerous, so i am not doing that. Somebody please help me!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
Look up 'adjust the breath sensor' in the manual...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, letting air out while I play helps, I guess.

Haiku-I think it's a hardware issue; the problem is physical, so, the issue is not with the way it is sensing my breath but with the volume of air that is being let through the instrument. I just want a bigger diameter hole.

Even if I can get used to the amount of air that goes through I think it will still limit my playing because of the air speed. Without getting a decent airspeed I think it will be hard to percussive staccato style notes. It makes tounging really difficult. Has anybody else had issues with this aspect of the EWI?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
My EWI is no more resistant than a soprano with a 3-3.5 reed. Oboes are much more resistant. So, you need more air to go through?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I need more air to go through. I have only played soprano a few times and oboe once. I play tenor almost exclusively these days, so, I might just have to get used to it. If I can figure out how to mod it to let more air through I will. Otherwise, I am getting more and more comfortable the more I play it.

·
Banned
825 Posts
From what I understand there is no solution and that the first models didn't even have the straw diameter at all. I have to learn to let the air escape -a big difference between playing that and of course the tenor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The EWI4000s doesn't let hardly any air through at all. That's one of the Akai-documented "unique" characteristics of that device. If it seems like it is, you have a poorly fitted or modified mouthpiece or instrument.

Many musicians have bored a tiny hole in the silicon mouthpiece or plastic mpc fitting to accomplish what you want, but be prepared for condensate issues if you do that.

You MUST let air leak out of your embouchure while you play or you'll go dark; and you have to learn to adjust that "purse string" muscle to vary the leakage to achieve subtle dynamic changes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The same problem happened to me. I have an EWI USB for about 6 months.
My approach is somewhat different. My tendency to push the air were caused in first instance from the lack of color differences in the Aria samples that come with the EWI. Soft blowing or strong blowing should result in a dynamic range and color change. BBut hardly so on the EWI.
Because we are saxophone players we expect the same range of dynamics en tone-coloring like the 'real thing'. That must cause disappointment, as the standard samples are pretty dead sounding.
My solution is to use different software: I experimented with the FM7 soft synth. One must program the CC2 breathcontroler to control the carrier as modulator. This gives much more dynamics and coloring of the tone.
Which results in a more relaxed approach to breathing in the mouthpiece, as little changes give strong results.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can try one or two pieces of a ball point pen re-fill. Tape or use a rubber band to the under side of the mouthpiece. Later, Ray

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd add my .02 for people looking at this thread down the road.

The EWI USB has a restricted airflow by design, and there's not much that they could do to improve it either. The way the EWI senses the air pressure is a system of two same diameter tubes. One tube goes directly through the unit, while the other tube goes directly onto a small pressure sensor. The pressure sensor requires a small diameter tube to fit onto it, and the other tube must be the same diameter, so the pressures it is sensing are proportional. From an engineering aspect, in order to allow more air to pass through, you'd have to increase the diameter of the tubing (duh), but also increase the size of the pressure sensor as well.

I saw one poster talking about how some bored a larger hole in the mouthpiece- I would strongly discourage doing so, because silicon can split easily when being drilled or cut.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
On the other hand, it's good for your lungs. There is a medical device which is even harder to blow into. You have to make this ball go up to the top of the tube. After that, someone hits you really hard on the back for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Look here at this fine site of Jason Knight about the EWI. He describes an oparation on the EWI, if you have the guts to do so:

http://www.ewiusb.com/airflow

I have the same experience: blowing for some on gives me a headache. But there is also the argument that it is not a saxophone, and one can get used to it. Technically there is no need for more airflow. What helps: sounds that react really well on variations in breath pressure. If there is little variation, I am going to 'push' while the CC midi is already at 127. If you have lots of variations in tone between 0 and 127, the need to get 'louder' is not there, so you adjust easier at a middle level of blowing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts