Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, the recommended embouchure for the EWI is to bite the mouthpiece and keep the lips loose while letting some air out from the sides. I have been playing it by "wrapping" my lips around the mouthpiece without any contact with my teeth. Thus, I am unable to do vibrato with my teeth.

When I try to use the biting method, saliva will start leaking from the sides of my lips. Am I doing it wrongly? Does anyone have this problem using the biting embouchure?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You don't do vibrato with your teeth.....it's with your airstream.

And when I play ewi, it's more like sax. You don't have air leaking out of the sides of your mouth.

As for the saliva problem......people vary. Perhaps don't eat before playing? It's part of playing a wind instrument.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Is it a brand new EWI? If so then give it some time to get out of its infancy. :baby:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Buy some elasticated hair bunches, the type that are covered in soft crinkly fabric, and double-loop a couple over the top of the EWI just below the mouthpiece - works a treat, I've used them for 20 years or so now. They come in a discreet black as well as girly pink!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mouthpiece
Hold the mouthpiece gently in your mouth with your teeth, and exhale so
the breath is passed through both ends of your mouth. The EWI4000s
detects this wind pressure with the breath sensor and expresses the
change in sound volume and character. The EWI4000s unique breathing
structure is designed so that very little breath is required to pass through
the instrument. You can use various breathing techniques to sustain or
shape notes for powerfully expressive performances.

Vibrato
There is a vibrato sensor in the MOUTHPIECE. You can produce a vibrato effect by gently biting the
MOUTHPIECE. Do not bite too hard as this may damage the vibrato sensor or the MOUTHPIECE itself.

This was what I found in the manual on embouchure and vibrato. I had been using the diaphragm/flute method on the EWL all along and decided to try this biting method.

As for the elasticated hair bunches, what the purpose of using them? to absorb the drool?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
As for the elasticated hair bunches, what the purpose of using them? to absorb the drool?
Exactly. They stop your saliva running down the instrument. Simple yet effective, as I say, I (and others) have used them for 20 years.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
but the saliva activated top octave trigger is one of the funniest musical occurances that you can witness!!! and ive seen it all too MANY times!!!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..when it happens the responsible offender(inexperienced ewist that is) always scowls at the guitarist ,implying that he is feeding back!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Buy some elasticated hair bunches, the type that are covered in soft crinkly fabric, and double-loop a couple over the top of the EWI just below the mouthpiece - works a treat, I've used them for 20 years or so now. They come in a discreet black as well as girly pink!
I think Brecker dealt with this this way

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
yeah...but if you want it to stop,you just take your thumb off....the ewi is heat sensitive ,not touch sensitive...so if the drool hits the top octave key the piercing high tone doesnt stop until the drool dries,or you power down the unit!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts