Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me precise the question. I am looking at ways to practice late at night and considering getting an EWI4000s to that end (between other thing). In addition to working on my tone on sax (embouchure and all) I also need to develop jazz ears and jazz chops & licks. The EWI can't help for tone & embouchure but how good (or bad) would practising on an EWI be to develop jazz chops & ears? Would this work translate well onto my sax?

I am also interested in getting the EWI for what it is in itself and would use it with a Korg Triton in addition to the internal synth of the EWI. But as much as the EWI as an original instrument might be I don't want anything to derail or delay progress on the sax.

Thank you

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
If playing an EWI keeps your head in the music, that's always a good thing. It will not assist or harm your playing the saxophone specifically, otherwise, so long as you keep up your regular routine on the saxophone.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah, it is not the same as saxophone. At All. It is good to work out songs or work on some fingering things. But you really need to tweak it when you get it, as I found the delay if you finger something fast to be terrible. I had to basically turn off all the effects and reverb and tweak a couple of other params to get it to respond like what I wanted....ie: instantly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback. Call it wishful thinking but I had hoped someone said it helped on the sax a bit. (I say that after having check the EWI fingerings and yeah I see they are quite different :( )

·
Registered
105 Posts
For info:
you can set up the ewi 4000 so that it has fingering similar to a sax. I think it can only help your playing.
I have young children and can only play ewi with headphones at night and this has helped keep me from totally losing any chops I once had. I have to be more accurate with fingering on the ewi, ie. keep them close and with good timing. It's also good for transcribing late at night. When I get a chance to play tenor I find my fingers are more solid after playing the ewi.
check out Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Steve Tavaglione etc. It did not hurt their Tenor Playing.

Rob.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, it is not the same as saxophone. At All. It is good to work out songs or work on some fingering things. But you really need to tweak it when you get it, as I found the delay if you finger something fast to be terrible. I had to basically turn off all the effects and reverb and tweak a couple of other params to get it to respond like what I wanted....ie: instantly.
The Yamaha WX5 has fingerings that are essentially the same as a sax, with more alternates added on-- you might consider that instead. The warnings are that you would need some sort of tone generator, and it's still a different instrument from a sax. IMO, though, just playing more music on any instrument is bound to help your sax playing (your "jazz chops and ears").

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I haven't found EWI (WX5 in my case) to impact my sax playing much one way or another. A Synthophone would be closer to what you want but few folks are willing to spend the extra $$$$. Check it out here;

http://synthophone.info/

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I´m playing Yamaha WX7s and Akai EWIs since they were introduced and enjoying them alot. I def. think they improved my fingering as also noted above. But you can forget the embouchure. It´s like blowing on a pencil.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I´m playing Yamaha WX7s and Akai EWIs since they were introduced and enjoying them alot. I def. think they improved my fingering as also noted above. But you can forget the embouchure. It´s like blowing on a pencil.
Lol that got me laughing. Thanks all for the comments :)

BTW due to hygiene it doesn't look like it is possible to try these before buying. Did you all bought on "faith" it would work out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts