Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I often read this site but have never posted before. I am a music teacher and bought an old sax from ebay purely out of interest. After receiving it I have ascertained that it is an Evette & Schaeffer C melody serial no #3022 which seems to date it around 1878. It is very tarnished and missing a couple of springs but otherwise is in great nick... I am going to get it fixed cos I feel like I owe it to the old girl but I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the horn; history, value, anything.

Cheers
JP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, have now found this to be an Oscar Adler with similar keying to the early Evette & Schaffers...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I'd be very surprised if it was that old, although it's not impossible. The vast majority of C-melody saxes were built in the the USA during 1920s with a few holding over in the early 1930s. However, your Adler is European made and may be quite different. Does it have two octave keys?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I have determined the correct brand I don't think it is quite so old, but there isn't much info about the Adler saxes available except for that they are German and a precursor to Kielwerth. It only has the one octave key but has an extra RH key like the 'Evette & Schaffer' system Buffet horns. The B and Bb vents are both on the LH side of the bell. I don't really care how much it is worth; I just feel like it deserves to be pretty and usable again after 90-odd years but I am interested to know anything I can find about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
The extra key could be one of the trill keys often used in the 1920s. Check to see if it trills the G or G#.

Some of the folks here have mentioned Adler saxes. Here is a link for other Adler posts: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/search.php?searchid=4295981

Also, look in the Keilwerth or B&S forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts