Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,

I received this bari sax as a gift from my band instructor almost 20 years ago. As you can see from the photo attached/linked. The bell is inscribed with Evette Schaeffer however there is no country listed. The serial number on the sax is 23390. I currently am looking to better understand the age and value of this saxophone.

Thanks in advance,

Wags

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
Does it have "France" or "Italy" stamped on it anywhere? Buffet made a lot of the Evettes, but other companies made them as well. Pictures of the whole sax might help determine who made it, based on the keywork.

Value varies wildly on used baris, but if it is in good cosmetic and playing condition, probably $1000-$1500. If it needs a lot of work, much less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
indeed serial number and logo is far too little to identify a horn of a brand very well known to have been extensively using other brands to stencil saxophones under their names.
Malerne is a good possibility. We currently have a Evette Schaeffer (Malerne) horn on offer in Holland (is a rather good state but no lacquer left) for 500€

1 - 3 of 3 Posts