Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I feel the same way as you. I once jammed with some guys and they didn't want to do any covers because they wanted to be original. The end result was they all kind of sucked and there songs sounded bad, to me. If you take the parts you like, work them in every key and really get them down something special happens. Your ears open up and you can help but change things a little and put your own twist on it. I have jammed with guys who freak out because I can play a long string of double time and then I can go back and play it again. I'm not randomly pressing buttons and hoping it comes out good. I know what I'm playing and I know what it is going to sound like. That comes from practice in all keys and learning the licks. After I feel I have a good grasp of who ever I'm learning from I can't help but put my finger prints all over it and make it mine, original!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not randomly pressing buttons and hoping it comes out good. I know what I'm playing and I know what it is going to sound like...After I feel I have a good grasp of who every I'm learning from I can't help but put my finger prints all over it and make it mine, original!
Well put.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
"There's nothing new under the sun"-Ecclesiastes

"Good composers borrow; great composers steal" -Igor Stravinsky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts