Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Cool! Some good ideas there.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I've been saying for years how ligature placement can be crucial to the sound.

The best placement I have found is on the mouthpiece.

Anywhere else and the sound is liable to suffer a somewhat.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
one thing about the ligature more to front or more down is about the response of the reed... this is good when you are feeling the reed a little soft (push down the lig) or a little hard (push front)... i'm not saying the sound will change and you will sound great...i'm saying the response of the reed will be more like you want to..but must know what do you want.. i think nothing of what i said is new...just remembering..

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I like my ligature way down on my TM EB. It makes a very noticeable difference in response.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
one thing about the ligature more to front or more down is about the response of the reed... this is good when you are feeling the reed a little soft (push down the lig) or a little hard (push front)
???? Im pretty sure I think of it completely the opposite...if the reed is soft i want to stiffen it up by pushing the lig to the front...by the vibrating reed surface being shorter ..the reed then is harder....pushing the lig down lets a hard reed free up more by being looser....

anyone else???

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
???? Im pretty sure I think of it completely the opposite...if the reed is soft i want to stiffen it up by pushing the lig to the front...by the vibrating reed surface being shorter ..the reed then is harder....pushing the lig down lets a hard reed free up more by being looser....

anyone else???
Yeah I agree.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

anyone else???
Not me! Sorry.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I think that the best place is halfway between the end of the reed and the file mark (if you, like me, prefer filed reeds). I feel that this holds the reed solidly on the mouthpiece, with no chance of leaks. The first picture in the link above shows where that is using a standard link lig on an STM. (It's a bit further back than on many other pieces).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

anyone else???
Yes. I do the opposite. The reed plays softer if ligature is pushed forward. It closes the facing slightly. Towards the back, the reed plays harder. It opens facing slightly.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

anyone else???
i can't talk about the physic occurring on the event, but by experience, and i do this a lot, that's what happened...just like i said...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes. I do the opposite. The reed plays softer if ligature is pushed forward. It closes the facing slightly. Towards the back, the reed plays harder. It opens facing slightly.
martimm you said what i said.. so the best place for the mouthpiece as a lot to do the reed response at that time...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I've been saying for years how ligature placement can be crucial to the sound.

The best placement I have found is on the mouthpiece.

Anywhere else and the sound is liable to suffer a somewhat.

I have this problem myself. Whenever I place the ligature on my finger, it doesn't work well. Doesn't work well when it's on my nose either, although some say this is a good look for me. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I guess we're divided on what changes reed response. The pushing back to make it "softer" and the subsequent opposite are how it works for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Considering the reed as a beam, then making it shorter makes it stiffer, same force produces less deflection(bending) (k(stiffness)=Force/deflection). Moving the ligature back makes the beam longer and therefore less stiff. That's the reed as a beam.

If you consider the tip opening as another variable, then we're probably talking varying the force it takes the bend the reed then it has the opposite effect, so I guess you could see either happen.

Good to know it's something to play around with, thanks for the article.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts

anyone else???
No, if my reed is too soft I would address that by working on the reed or getting a harder reed, not by putting a ligature in the "wrong" place in order to stifle vibrations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
My ligature works best if i sprinkle it with fairy dust before I play and if i want it to be really special I'll light up some incense to honor the saxophone gods

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
hey pete...post a link to that ligature placement video you have.....

i dont consider front or back a "wrong" place... but (as it shows in that video) different ligs push the reed against the tabe in different ways... that's why i opt for a lig with a reedplate 1 screw ligs(selmer,brilhart,kohlert)and the wanne enlightened,which is a little different in that the reed plate floats... but the point im driving at is that (as long as your facing is good) the similiar principle applies to the front or back of the facing

this is the X-factor that has not been discussed yet in this thread...and is very well demonstrated in Pete's video the way your lig suits to your mouthpiece...and how good your facing is...has EVERYTHING to do with it!!!!

rovner boasts a "rocking" option...which in principle adresses this...but I have yet to hear about someone actually doing it,or being succesful at doing it

1 - 20 of 59 Posts