Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a lot of time putting this post together, so it has practice ideas for a wide range of player levels. I've included the fingerings that really work well for me on most tenors, and I've also included sound clips of what I believe is one of the most important altissimo exercises - limiting yourself to a specific range while improvising.

Here is the link - http://everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com/2011/06/altissimo-crash-course-beginner-through.html

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
This is an incredible offering. This is exactly what sotw is about! Thanks Ben.

B

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice post.

One thing I might add is the importance of ear-training. You mentioned jumping around the overtones as an exercise, but this is impossible to do unless you can hear each note in your head before you play it.

The other thing is to actually be able to play in the upper register. I see too many people squeaking away like mad during their solos and it sounds dreadful because it has no musicality. I always tell my students, if you can't play well in the normal register, there's no way you're going to be able to play well in the upper register :) Come up with a decent line in the normal range, then move it up into the altissimo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Very nice!

Lately I've been spending more time practicing overtones off the rest of the stack keys. I find that trying to match octaves with, say, A1 and A2 really forces me to direct the airstream only. If I'm biting at all, the higher A goes way sharp.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I hope this stuff is helpful.

@tmuraoka - You're right, some ear training will be necessary for beginners, and that will need its own article all together!
@rleitch - I agree with that too. However, I recommend people start with the very basic low note overtones, since they are easier to start with. So easy, that beginners play them accidentally on the regular basis!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are a amazing gifted musician !
Thanks so much. I'll remember that comment at one of those down in the dumps moments we all have. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
there is some good stuff in there. I always love new overtone exercises. My dogs hate them.
I really don't see why your dogs should have to do overtone exercises. Don't they have enough stuff to worry about already?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I really don't see why your dogs should have to do overtone exercises. Don't they have enough stuff to worry about already?
lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is some good stuff in there. I always love new overtone exercises. My dogs hate them.
My children hate them! Bring it on though.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
Definitely desperate about my ability to play altissimo, this seems to be the very last opportunity offered to me. Many thanks and congrats for the effort.
J

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi Ben

Hope you don't mind ...I would just like to add this set for the Borgani Tenor. This may poss work for other large bore Tenor's too.

High F#---> (B G F Eb)

High G----> ( B G F alt F# oval)

The alt F# oval (shape) is the key just above the Eb ...so going from F# to G you just slide your little finger up from Eb to the alt F# (oval) (or just use finger 3)

High G#---> ( B G F alt F# oval + middle side key (trill key C)

High A---> ( A G F E D )

High Bb---> ( palm D/ A G F E D )

High B---> ( palm D/ G )

High C---> ( B G F D Eb )

High C#---> ( B )

High D---> ( front F )

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I never heard of that G# fingering before. That's pretty cool and more connected to the A than my normal fingering. For Bb,B and C I use what you use but no side C. Instead I use 1 and 2 of the right hand which also brigs up the pitch on my SBA. My Bb is right on with my 1 and 2 fingering but a bit flat with the side C fingering on my horn. I'm going to mess around with that G# and see if I can integrate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I never heard of that G# fingering before. That's pretty cool and more connected to the A than my normal fingering. For Bb,B and C I use what you use but no side C. Instead I use 1 and 2 of the right hand which also brigs up the pitch on my SBA. My Bb is right on with my 1 and 2 fingering but a bit flat with the side C fingering on my horn. I'm going to mess around with that G# and see if I can integrate it. Thanks.
Hey Cool.

Nice for you to get paid back now and then :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts