Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Everything is big in Texas" or, the value of a Selmer original saxophone case

Hello, how much would you say the value of the Selmer original case is?
It has got red plush inside and was made in the late 1960s.
Now would you say that it is, or might be considered ´a collectors piece´ in some ways?
I mean would the original case, in a reasonably good shape increase the value of the saxophone in the meaning that it might increase the value of the sax + case?
https://reverb.com/handpicked/vintage-selmer-saxophones?year_max=1970&year_min=1960

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,797 Posts
with a title like this it would be a real surprise if people would have any idea of the question that you are asking.

I am not even sure of what you are asking since you talk of a “ red plush” and the horn in the pics has a case with black one.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...0,w_1600/v1490037998/vv3cqqj72gcko1jvtdze.jpg

The horn in the pictures doesn’t seem to be in particular good state nor does the case.

Original cases might add something to the value of anything but they have to be as near to perfect to really make an impact.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am asking about the value of a Selmer original case (the Selmer metal logo in light blue metal has come off but can be re attached).
If you please you can give an interval of what it might be the worth. I think the keys for the latch is missing.

Kind regards

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
$50? That's about what I would pay for a used one, if and only if I needed one.

The keys don't matter, there are about five different luggage keys in the world and no one locks their sax case anyway. Locking something that you can easily carry off in your hand makes no sense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,797 Posts
let’s say that a case like this isn’t particularly valuable , how much is anyone’s guess. In any case :twisted: an “ original” case is only original if it comes with the horn that started its life with , a later “ marriage” of horn and (even if of the same period) case does not make it an “original case”. Selmers came with many different cases , they were an option, and some came with surprisingly cheap ones to save a bit of money. Would an original but cheap case make a Mark VI be worth any more in a sale? Hardly. Would a married cheap case make any difference? No.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
I am asking about the value of a Selmer original case (the Selmer metal logo in light blue metal has come off but can be re attached).
If you please you can give an interval of what it might be the worth. I think the keys for the latch is missing.
A case such as you describe would be, imo, worthless. Far better to get a new pro-tech or Bam or other top-quality modern case that will provide good protection for the horn.

I suppose someone who really cares about a 'vintage' case might cough up $50 or so for an original Selmer case in perfect, pristine condition. Mainly because you will be very unlikely to find such a thing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Having an original case with a sax probably might attract someone who is a collector more so than one with a replacement case. A player might actually prefer the replacement modern case than the original case. Either way cases really don't add a whole lot of value. I agree with JL maybe $50. The only vintage Selmer cases that seem to go for any money are the tri-pack cases (the ones that hold a sax, clarinet, and flute) and the Flight Series cases.

I also agree that it helps if you actually title things to the question your asking, you would probably get better results.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
I agree with the others who say that "original" means the case that came with the sax, and that a non-original "vintage" case, especially if it's not in excellent condition, does not add much to an instrument's value. Modern cases are generally lighter and provide better protection.

FWIW, I have a 1950 Conn 28M that came in its original case. The case is in excellent condition. However, I carry the sax in a modern case, because I want to preserve the condition of the original case. (It has travel stickers from a tour that the original owner made with her all-girl jazz band. How cool is that?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts