Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
A few months back I played with a bar band. The keyboardist doubled on a tenor that if I remember right, looked just like that one. But it needed work badly. Someone dropped it or something and bent the keywork up pretty bad. He was struggling, poor guy. Great fellow, too bad about the horn though.

I couldn't tell you how they should sound because his was mucked up and he could barely fight the thing to get the right notes out of it.

Harv

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Yes, I've seen one or two knocking around in UK over the last half century! I would surmise that the keys were nickel plated when the horn was re-laquered.
These are nice solid horns from late '30's or thereabouts. The seller is in-correct regarding "soldered tone holes" IMO but, right about 'snap ins' and Norton springs. Could be a very good player with a little TLC. Our man "Jcaino" is THE Buescher expert on here so it will be interesting to see his comments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
I've seen alto versions of that type. It's got those Buescher pointy wire guards. You see the same design guards on saxes with the bell keys on different sides. These with the keys on the same side are better IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,149 Posts
Huh, I have a pre-1920's (1915/16 IIRC) Buescher Alto with the soldered toneholes, but I've never seen one that late with them. Wouldn't Gus have been long gone by the time this one was made? I thought he was the big proponent of soldered toneholes...

Looks to be pretty nice, I think you need it Saintsday...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
no I haven't seen a soldered tone hole version of an Aristocrat tenor.
That horn has a load of unique features
A) it's the "holy grail" wide bottom body redesign
B) it has the soldered tone holes
C) it has the Eb trill key and tone hole
D) it has a unique side (back) F# trill guard

the finish is the least of the unusual features, I've seen more than just one Big B or art deco aristo with a factory refinish with nickel plated keys, and I know of one of them I've seen was ordered like that from the factory. They tried to order a fully nickel plated horn (keys and body) and the factory was not willing to do a body in nickel plate. Back in the 40's.

I think this horn is an experimental horn or something. Also the tone holes appears to be nickel silver sheet metal

·
4,507 Posts
Edit: what if having miserably failed with the padless they built for selmer they decided to rescue some of them main bodies during WWII due to the heavy shortage in brass? that could explain the nickel silver tone holes, the "rescue" of a padless main body (they were the exact same as early aristocrats) and such.

·
3,410 Posts
Juan you are amazing! Must admit I only gave the pics a quick glance and did'nt pick up on the nickel tone holes. Reckon this auction is worth a punt??

·
3,410 Posts
Just had another peep--those tone holes are impressive and the fork Eb and back F# key guard just like Juan said. The keys could be Silver plated on reflection--- very hard to tell
This horn gets more desirable by the hour!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no I haven't seen a soldered tone hole version of an Aristocrat tenor.
That horn has a load of unique features
A) it's the "holy grail" wide bottom body redesign
B) it has the soldered tone holes
C) it has the Eb trill key and tone hole
D) it has a unique side (back) F# trill guard

the finish is the least of the unusual features, I've seen more than just one Big B or art deco aristo with a factory refinish with nickel plated keys, and I know of one of them I've seen was ordered like that from the factory. They tried to order a fully nickel plated horn (keys and body) and the factory was not willing to do a body in nickel plate. Back in the 40's.

I think this horn is an experimental horn or something. Also the tone holes appears to be nickel silver sheet metal
Thanks, Juan. I've owned an awful lot of Bueschers and seen a double lot more, but this one is new to me. I read the text before I looked at the pictures and thought the guy was goofy when he mentioned Aristocrat and soldered tone holes. Then I looked at the pictures. Your guesses about an experimental or a leftover padless body make sense. If anyone here ends up with this thing, I'd really appreciate a hands on report.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
Sould be a great horn. It's basically a 'series one' tenor with the art deco engraving, but some special features that Jicaino pointed out. Looks pretty similar to a silver plated series one I have, except for those features. It would definitely be worth a bid, I would think. Especially because it also looks to be in good condition.

p.s. Just went back and looked at the tone holes. Very unique. And probably rare, fwtw.

·
4,507 Posts
Man I'm missing big time not being up there. I'd have a couple of 139 baritones and this horn for sure by now. :mrgreen:

THis hor is surely a buescher experimental horn. Fits in the transitional period for tenors (although transitional is more of a conn buffs punch word) and it has unique features. The nickel plate is definitely nickel. Buescher factory nickel is a precious jewellry grade nickel plating wich looks way more "pearly" than industrial nickel, that's why it looks silverish. I'm leaning towards original because it has the little articulation arm rockers plated and the infamous square in the octave mechanism looks nickel plated as well. Those pieces are most likely to be unplated in aftermarket plating jobs.

As far as lacquer, these horns have the softest most delicate alloy in Buescher's history. I cannot be 100% sure it's original lacquer, but I don't think it looks buffed. I wouldn't rule out original lacquer or a low miles factory refinish before the buyout.

Mark, this is your chance to see how much better a pre 156 tenor is than your gorgeous gold plate big B :twisted: plus a very nice companion for that 139 bari of yours, you can fill in the display cabinet with rare bueschers :mrgreen:

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sould be a great horn. It's basically a 'series one' tenor with the art deco engraving, but some special features that Jicaino pointed out. Looks pretty similar to a silver plated series one I have, except for those features. It would definitely be worth a bid, I would think. Especially because it also looks to be in good condition.

p.s. Just went back and looked at the tone holes. Very unique. And probably rare, fwtw.
Common as cats. Not worth the opening bid. Probably a horrible player made in huge numbers and mostly thrown in the trash, and probably stinky to boot.:mrgreen:

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dibs.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
Common as cats. Not worth the opening bid. Probably a horrible player made in huge numbers and mostly thrown in the trash, and probably stinky to boot.:mrgreen:
Yeah, probably worthless. Only a fool would bid on that one! :)

p.s. I'm gonna play my 292,xxx tenor on the gig tonight and give the VI a rest. All this Buescher talk has got me itching to play it again.

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you called dibs... I will resist the itch to bid.

But we want a report on how it plays when you get it!!!
Thanks.

I still have to win it from the rest of the world, which I'll try to do. But I've also learned that no matter how much I think any given saxophone is worth, there is someone out there somewhere who has deeper pockets and/or a bigger hunger.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts