Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen advice all over the forum about getting a YAS-23, Antigua, or Kessler horn. But never have I heard anyone even mention the Keilwerth ST90.

While I can't say I like their pro models, Keilwerth's student model's quite a nice horn. Beginning on an older Yamaha YAS-23, I found the Keilwerth was more free-blowing, and that the tone was a lot richer than the Yamaha. Tried both with the Selmer C*, and the Keilwerth won hands down.

So my question is: Has anyone actually tried one of Keilwerth's ST beginner models?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I know someone who has one. I played it, and wasn't very impressed.

It played like every other Chinese horn I've played. It has MKVI keywork with pretty good action. Tone is thin and on the bright side, but not too bad.

I suppose it's worth the going price on eBay (200-350) to purchase one. But, there are better student horn options available.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The 90 series soprano was ok. Played in tune and blew real easy!!!!It was $898 about 3 years ago. We ended up buying the Conn 94M soprano for $595. Both played similar. It was my younger daughters first sax. She started at 6.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a few tenors some years ago for school band use.

They are what they are, good value but inexpensive Taiwanese student horns - in no way related to their German-made professional brethren.

However, even with the stock mouthpiece they sounded fantastic, with a rich full, fruity sound and effortless low notes. Intonation was a problem on the upper octave and the keywork is bendy and a bit tinny. Not any worse than similar inexpensive Taiwanese horns of course.

I would say they are worth getting at the right price. Definitely way better than a Selmer Prelude A700 Chinese horn but not as good as a Yamaha YTS23, although they might sound better.

HTH

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an ST-90 soprano which is actually quite good for the price I paid. Easy blowing, and with the right mouthpiece I can make a nice dark sound with it. Intonation is challenging, especially at the high end, and high notes above high D are difficult to play, especially if I try to play them softly. But all in all I have no regrets regarding what I paid for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts