Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Discussion Starter #1
Sub bass player, calling tunes you haven鈥檛 played in over a year, with four people in the audience. The one where you can鈥檛 put two notes together in a coherent phrase causing you to re-evaluate why you do this in the first place. Oh well, I鈥檒l try again tomorrow.

SOTW Member
Yeah they come in all flavors..

one night piano man don't show for my Sat nite show, Sausalito Trio gig, 250 people fancy intimate dining. So me and Bass man took off on the real book, me blowing melodies mostly, some sparse solos. hell we never looked back. I felt so free harmonically too, very interesting no keys or voicings to adjust to..after we hit first tune and halfway into Ipanema I realized we can do this..within a few tunes we got into the duo thing big time.
Here's the best part, the owner-chef cooking in back never came out or noticed, luckily the bartender didn't rat us out. And *** no complaints from the (don't listen much anyway) audience, most never knew.

We still got paid full pop and a few tips.

Registered
Sub bass player, calling tunes you haven鈥檛 played in over a year, with four people in the audience.
no complaints from the (don't listen much anyway) audience, most never knew
That musical setting is called "Jazz":bluewink:

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
I hate to admit it, but over the many long years I've have a bunch of gigs like that....

I also had a band leader for many years who used subs as often as not. He worked a lot of low pay gigs, but he worked them almost every night. Some nights were electrifying - many however, were just what you described...

Registered
I鈥檓 lucky I get to play a lot so I can overcome some of these situations. I rarely turn down a gig but I wish I had some times.
I once heard Sonny Rollins play live with a band that seemed to be having trouble playing. I guess it was the sound system or something but it just wasn鈥檛 happening. He muscled through it in a way that made me realize even more what a strong player he is. It was inspiring to hear that.
I try to remember that when I鈥檓 at the kind of gig you鈥檙e talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts