Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I tried a couple sizes of Metalite on tenor and found the sound very uninteresting, but would be mildly curious to play one on bari. If I didn't already have an RPC, that is. Bari is a kind of different critter. If you were going to hand out advice to a beginner on bari, you'd probably be thinking (wait a minute, why's this guy starting with bari?), and depending on the answer, maybe you would recommend a high baffle starter mouthpiece after all?
Me too - I sold the tenor pieces though they played okay. I have a Metalite bari piece as well. It was completely unplayable when I received it new but I was curious so I spent a couple hours refacing it so it was at least playable. I figured by the time I spent the money and went through the hassle to ship it back and they only credited me the cost of the piece minus the shipping charges I would have been 1/2 way to the cost of the thing anyway so why bother. Design-wise I think these work better on bari because they have quite a bit of baffle and that can be handled in a bari piece without making it overly bright the way it gets at times on tenor and certainly on alto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts