Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, could use practically any piece on the planet and Tom 'Bones' Malone uses a Metalite. Pic from Tom's Facebook page just posted a few minutes ago.

Amazing.

Musical instrument Saxophone Reed Musician Reed instrument

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,267 Posts
I am not sure this is an endorsement for the metallite mouthpiece. I mean he is primarily a trombone player. If you have not played trombone, try it and then try playing saxophone. He is making some concessions on the Saxophone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I played the metalite for a few months. Basically played Dukoff D9 on bari & tenor from 1983 till 2013 (30 years).

I am now playing JodyJazz DV9 (bari) and DV9* (tenor). LaVoz medium

The JodyJazz gives me the edge of the Dukoff with some extra fullness.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I played the metalite for a few months. Basically played Dukoff D9 on bari & tenor from 1983 till 2013 (30 years).

I didn't know you could use a sax mouthpiece on trombone....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,629 Posts
ROFL

For a sax.

I dont think anyone wants to hear me on a bone regardless of mouthpiece...that would just be frightening to man and animal.

Im just not a fan of these pieces. Just cuz they are cheap and can play reasonably doesnt make me want one. If its ones sound concept then go for it. I do for an absolute, complete, total fact get irate when I hear members suggest them to new players. IMHO or not so humble opinion a young or beginning player has no business with a high baffled mouthpiece (they dont need a 600 dollar mpc either).

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
After doing the mpc dance, I now use a metalite on alto (M11) with a very soft reed (1 1/2).
Takes a controlled embouchure to keep timbre and pitch even since it's so open.
Somehow it works great on my Buescher 140 ( which wants to be very sweet), better then all the other mpcs I've tried through the years.
Articulatoin is the easiest I've tried.
I can play a long time and not get tired.
It's warm, focused, the highs not pinched and altissimo screams. I can sub (though not as easily as with a Meyer type), and blast.
I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner either.
I don't use one on any other horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,620 Posts

Hey Tom! Thanks for participating here. Your playing is amazing on all the horns.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got so I can sort of make recognizable attempts at music with an old Reynolds bass trombone, and didn't notice any injury to whatever ability I may have to play bari sax. (Already been playing tuba for years, anyway.)

I tried a couple sizes of Metalite on tenor and found the sound very uninteresting, but would be mildly curious to play one on bari. If I didn't already have an RPC, that is. Bari is a kind of different critter. If you were going to hand out advice to a beginner on bari, you'd probably be thinking (wait a minute, why's this guy starting with bari?), and depending on the answer, maybe you would recommend a high baffle starter mouthpiece after all?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I tried a couple sizes of Metalite on tenor and found the sound very uninteresting, but would be mildly curious to play one on bari. If I didn't already have an RPC, that is. Bari is a kind of different critter. If you were going to hand out advice to a beginner on bari, you'd probably be thinking (wait a minute, why's this guy starting with bari?), and depending on the answer, maybe you would recommend a high baffle starter mouthpiece after all?
Me too - I sold the tenor pieces though they played okay. I have a Metalite bari piece as well. It was completely unplayable when I received it new but I was curious so I spent a couple hours refacing it so it was at least playable. I figured by the time I spent the money and went through the hassle to ship it back and they only credited me the cost of the piece minus the shipping charges I would have been 1/2 way to the cost of the thing anyway so why bother. Design-wise I think these work better on bari because they have quite a bit of baffle and that can be handled in a bari piece without making it overly bright the way it gets at times on tenor and certainly on alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Hey Tom! Thanks for participating here. Your playing is amazing on all the horns.
AMEN SOYBEAN...What Tom Malone does, how he does it defines the highest level of seriousness. TOTALLY INSPIRING GUY.

I heard Tom do many many things...He has to be someone who is on the case 24-7 to be like that. very inspiring.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts