Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to listen to a lot of Evan Parker on disc over the weekend. Pretty wild.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Give a listen to LINES BURNT IN LIGHT on Psi Records, one of many solo soprano recordings.

This solo soprano excursion is something that is at the center of Parker's aesthetic- circular breathing, multi-phonics, rhythmic intensity and multiple,simultaneous melodies. Stunning music.

And it is even more spectacular live, both musically and sonically.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I'm absolutely sure it is wonderful live. I'm listening to a section right now of Supersessions- quartet with Keith Rowe, Ed Prevost, Barry Guy -- the cacophony in altissimo is remarkable. What a concept! And that clamorous duo stuff he did with Derek Bailey. Wow

I really liked the stuff that came out on ECM around 2000 -- the electroacoustic ensemble I think it is. A lot of texture in there for sure. I've got about 20 or 30 CDs he plays on.

I like when I think I hear trumpets sometimes when I listen to this, or Eric Dolphy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
These solo albums by Evan are good, nobody else does anything like this on saxophone.
1975, Saxophone solos
1980, Six of one
1986, The snake decides
1989, Conic sections

I saw him play a lot in London in the 1980's. Playing in small churches and public libraries. His solo concerts are fantastic and it can be like being in a trance listening to his soprano. I think lot of his sound comes from false fingerings and embouchure control
He was great in larger groups as well e.g: Globe Unity Orchestra and Kenny Wheelers large group.

Amazing that his first influence was Paul Desmond!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
'Topography of the Lungs'
'The London Concert' with Derek Bailey

And while we're on sax freaks:
Anthony Braxton's 'For Alto' is amazing.
John Zorn's 'Guide To Strategy vol. 1-3' is gobsmacking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts