Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on either system? Likes or dislikes...actual sax sound...problems of any kind? If anyone has opinion it w/b greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,295 Posts
I use the PGX/Beta combo and have for about 3 years on a 3-4 night a week schedule. It has held up and worked without interference 100% of the time. It seems pretty rugged - I keep the whole thing (transmitter, reciever, and mic) in a side pocket of a soft case and so far no problems. I like the sound too. I carried an AT35 as a backup for a couple of years but I only remember using it once (Wish I could remember why? :)) so now the AT lives in a practice space of my (currently) main band.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The newer pgx14 systems are junk... The processors in the inside are nothing like the older ones. I have an old uc/beta 98h/c that sounds incredible... I often used to wonder why people would always comment on how you miss a lot to the sound with a wireless... cause this one caught every lick of emotion I played. Unfort. the fcc banned the freq. range so when I play any further than 25ft away it will cut out. For most, 25ft would be sufficient but I really enjoy walking the crowd when I'm playing. I play in pretty big venues so it's important to make sure that my sound is right. I'm sure you can add a mixer to the newer pgx and make it sound half way decent but it's just not able to pick up all of the expression on the horns sound and has no gain or squelch control. It is very much and entry level wireless receiver with a good mic that you will never get the pleasure of hearing unless you mic it really well. (and I would not leave that up to a sound man :() I bought the new amt wi-5 and yes it is pricey.. but it is an amazing set-up. It really picks up al of the natural harmonics of the sax and does not get thin or shrill in the palm keys and not too boomy at the bottom. It seems to be the best in actually micing the sax to sound like a "SAX".. very natural sounding without sounding "electrified and processed" I highly recommend this mic!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,364 Posts
I would say that the Shure ULXS14/98H would be a better comparison, at least price wise. It's got a lot of frequencies to select from as well. I have used earlier models of both the Shure and the AMT (sadly, this one is now illegal), and much prefer the AMT. I think, with proper mixing and EQ, you can get either mic to sound pretty good.

For me the bigger issue is the belt pack or lack thereof. I really like the AMT design with no trailing wires, and really long battery life.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i own an AMT Wi5pro. It has 16 selectable channels and is interference free, once paired up with a frequency it is locked in. I has used shure mic before and they are great general mics. The Beta 98 is a multipurpose mic. You will see it used on drums and other instruments. As the Wi5 is designed for saxophone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I, too, use a shure beta 98 HC wireless and think it's a great mic. Once you place the transmitter in the horn with a homemade clasp, the unit is contained completely on the horn and not on your belt. The shure is "battle" proven and the AMT mic is new and doesn't have a long track record, IMHO, to sink the "high dollar" $700 plus in an instrument mic when the shure is hundreds less and performs great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After trying out the AMT WI5 for 4 nights in a night club setting it is a KEEPER. I like the natural sound of the sax which it produces and no "breaking up signal ". The AAA battery lasted about 10 hours then the amber light comes on to remind you to change the battery. I never got around to trying out anything else because I found that this set up with it's flexibility suits my needs....a little pricey but it's great! Thanks to every one who has commented on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts