Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Outstanding and obscure singer that died young.
Tone, phrasing, intonation, sincerity. No fake vibrato or gimmicks.
What more do you want.

I posted this on someone's thread that didn't get viewed but think that many will enjoy it.

("Obscure" may be incorrect?)

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,888 Posts
Pgraves said:
Outstanding and obscure singer that died young.
Tone, phrasing, intonation, sincerety. No fake vibrato or gimmicks.
What more do you want.

I posted this on someone's thread that didn't get viewed but think that many will enjoy it.

("Obscure" may be incorrect?)
Nice!!

Here's one of my fav pop diva's - Marilyn McCoo with the Fifth Dimension singing Laura Nyro's Wedding Bell Blues.

Very cute - but what's with Billy Davis being reticent with Marilyn??

·
Registered
351 Posts
Eva Cassidy

Maybe not so obsure...her recordings have backdropped some skate competitions in the olympics...a few recent movies. Times magazine did a short article on her life. I own 5-6 cd's...compilations...with duplicate songs.
According to a short bio I've read...record companies didn't know what to do with her because she sang so many different styles of music...I guess it didn't matter that she sang just about everything better then most. She has a rather short recording list..by the time she was "discovered", she was dying or dead. Cancer...
One jazz tune recording of hers that will give you chills up your spine..or at least it did it for me...is her recording of "You've Changed"...also catch her renditions of "Autumn Leaves"...and "Over the Rainbow".
She played guitar and backup vocals on much of her stuff.
What a great lost....:cry:
Thank you for opening this post!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,197 Posts
Just resurrected this thread looking for some other mention of Eva Cassidy. I've got 65 mp3 files of her in my itunes. Beautiful singing. Sadly gone too soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Really wonderful: her performance of Over The Rainbow and Autumn Leaves.... What a touch, killer ballads...

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,341 Posts
Her version of AUTUMN LEAVES has been one of my favorites for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.