Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which are the best online shops in europe?
Anybody 's suggestion who had made buys via internet is welkome.
I'm heading for an Antigua sop.

Also if I order it from the states what the prossedures would be. Taxes?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Agreed, www.sax.co.uk has a great selection of stuff, good prices and friendly, knowledgeable staff who don't make you feel like you're wasting their precision time if you want to ask lots of questions either in the shop or on the phone. I bought my sax from them and I was made very welcome and I've bought nothing more than a box of reeds and have been made equally welcome.

I don't know where you are because you haven't said, but if you're in the UK and buy something from outside the EU then the import duty for a sax is 3% and VAT (value added tax) is 17.5%, making a whopping 20.5% extra to pay when your parcel arrives. This is one of the reasons why stuff in the UK costs more than in the US, because wholesalers and distributers pay this on their wholesale price when they import stuff in to sell in retail outlets.

The UK Customs and Excise stance is to only bother taxing stuff worth more than £50 (approx $100). Other EU states may have a similar arrangement, I don't know. I have used this rule to good effect when I have bought things from a friendly retailer abroad who doesn't mind lowering the value on the customs form for me when they send it. (I hope no customs inspectors are reading this :shock: ) At the very least make sure they only declare the value of the goods NOT the goods plus shipping because otherwise you'll be charged tax on that as well. Also I think different member states have different VAT rates - some are even 19% I believe, so then you'd be up to 22% tax to pay!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Panosgr,

I am currently selling my Antigua 590 LQ Sop which is in perfect state (from France).
Contact me via email if you are interested, it will go on ebay this evening.

Another nice on line shop is: woodbrass.com in France.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Greece and I couldn't find this sop here.

I 've contacted with sax.co.uk and got impressed of the reply (immediate and thorough).

Thanks everybody.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts