Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 62000 Vi that was European built and has silver keys, but has the original Selmer engraving done by Don Menza. It also has had some repair work done to the neck which according to my repairman is a solid job. I played it and it feels and sounds great, with great intonation. They want 6000 for the horn. The question I have will the silver keys hurt the resale value of this horn, and is that a good price for this horn. I posted some pics to show what im taking about. View attachment 242638 View attachment 242640 View attachment 242642 View attachment 242644 View attachment 242646 View attachment 242648

·
Registered
917 Posts
A few points

1) the sax you show is not a 62k serial
2) mk 6s with silver plated keys usually have the moving parts of the neck in silver also. This one doesn’t. It is either not the original neck or it has been re lacquered, including removing the silver plate on the moving parts.
3) yes, silver plated keys can have a negative impact on price. I say this as someone who owns such a mk6 !!!
4) I’m not sure what you mean by “Don Menza engraving “. This would make it non original.
It may well have been re lacquered and then re-engraved.
5) if you are talking US dollars and it was totally original, 6000 for a 62k serial would be a good price, even with silver keys. Especially as it seems to be a good one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner said it was "stripped and re plated not relaquered. Engraving on the bell was done by don menza. They think Oleg did the pad job

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the neck was bent and repaired and then redone that is why there is no silver moving parts on neck. It is a 62 if you look at the serial number it clearly states that and the London on the bell.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Picture you show does not show a 62 k serial, I’m afraid .

I think this may have been a non engraved sax, which after stripping, has been engraved.

That, together with the repaired neck and some obvious repair work to the very top of the sax, at the tenon receiver end, would make me a little wary of resaleabilty at that price.

But if you like the sax , then great, go for it

·
Registered
917 Posts
Your very first post says 62000, which looks like reference to a serial number.

Did you mean a 1962 sax, which is a different matter, and makes it less sought after. Although still a very nice sax

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad your right it is a 103000 but still a great year for Mark VI, and like I said it is a killer player

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I meant 1962 hornand yes it was a a no engraved horn and then engraved. I just thought 6000 was a little to much for this horn. But like I said it is a great playing horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I just thought 6000 was a little to much for this horn. But like I said it is a great playing horn
It is a good value if it is the best horn you can find for the price, and you NEED that horn. I would pass - but that’s easy to say because I am happy with my horns.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I paid just a bit more for a 104k my VI with French engraving, about 60% original (bright yellow) lacquer. The original unrepaired neck does not have any silver plating on it or any parts on it. I bought it from a very reputable dealer, with a return policy and recent setup by him, so that raises the price from one from a private seller. It also has the silver plated keys which are not esthetically pleasing, so perhaps that got me a better deal. Mine also has a high F# key which lowers the value to some. But holy cow does that thing play lights out! It is an absolute rat rod of a horn. Every excellent player I have handed that horn to has looked at it not too approvingly, and then just loved playing it because of the responsiveness and tone. Most importantly, I love it.

So maybe or maybe not I got a good deal if one were looking at market value, but I feel like that was some of the best saxophone money I have ever spent. I would feel the same way if the horn had been much more worked over as the horn you are asking about has. If you love it, get it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
I think the neck was replaced. There's no reason the nickel octave rocker would have been replaced because the neck was worked-on. That is a really messed-with sax. If that's a $6000 horn, mine must be $10,000. I was planning on asking $4500 for it if I ever sold it, which is doubtful. Sure, if you like it, maybe it would be okay, but don't pay the price for a nice VI for a junker. First thing you should do is get rid of that junk on the side keys.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I wouldn’t pay $6K for that trainwreck of a horn unless it was the best playing horn on earth. It has too many things wrong with it that buyers can pick apart. For reference, I sold a 103K Tenor that was original, American and in great shape (with high f sharp) a couple of years ago for $6500. I also sold a 108K that was original with a fresh overhaul, but not as good of cosmetic shape for $5800. Recently, I just bought that 107K from Thomas in the forum for $6800, but it’s in outstanding original condition with a fresh overhaul.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was not re laquered it was stripped and replated. There is a big difference and it does play great, but I feel the same I dont feel its worth 6000

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
It was not re laquered it was stripped and replated. There is a big difference and it does play great, but I feel the same I dont feel its worth 6000
What do you mean by “not relacquered it was stripped and replated. There is a big difference...? Can we agree on “refinished”? Most here would reserve the term “replated” for something that was originally plated (gold plated or silver plated), and redone in a like finish. If originally finished with lacquer, and redone in lacquer, then it was ... (wait for it) relacquered!

If you don’t feel that it’s worth 6000, then why start this thread? Are you trying to use the discussion here to leverage the dealer?

Affirmation vs information???

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
The owner said it was "stripped and re plated not relaquered.
The owner simply doesn't know the difference. That horn was not re-plated, since it is not silver or gold plated; it has a coat of lacquer on it, meaning, if it's not original lac, that it was relacquered. Or is it gold plated??? I kind of doubt it because it looks like lac in the photos, but sometimes it's hard to tell from the photo. But one of the photos shows what looks like silver plate under the lac(?) just below the neck...gold plate is always placed over silver plate. But hard to trust the photos.

As to value, since you really like how the horn plays & sounds (the most important thing), you might try talking the owner down in price, pointing out the fact it's a relac. I don't think the silver keys are an issue either way, but the relac definitely brings the price down, whether that's warranted or not. And I've never worried about resale value since I wouldn't buy a horn that I think I'll be selling down the line. I'd only worry about whether I could afford the price up front and whether it's not priced over market value, which I think this one may be. Make an offer...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After all these reply's i have decided not to purchase this horn. Thanks for all your help and advice

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yes I meant 1962 hornand yes it was a a no engraved horn and then engraved. I just thought 6000 was a little to much for this horn. But like I said it is a great playing horn
If it's a great playing horn then what's the issue? Maybe the 6 grand. Personally, i wouldn't pay 6 grand for any horn that wasn't brand new. But then again I'm not enamored with the Selmer hype. Silver keys? None of the pics show the keys, are you sure they aren't nickel plated?

Dexter played a horn like this. I believe it was a gift from Ben Webster. Anyway, the most valuable thing about it is probably being engraved by Don Menza. A great player and engraver.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
My first impression of the horn when I saw the pics was that it was gold plated. Thats because where the finish is worn it is silver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts