Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,368 Posts
Oh nice, do you play some ? Definitely, my favourite sound is Londeix's. He is so amazing. It fits to me, but I will take some from Garrett and Redman 😂 .
No, I’m not familiar with any j-pop artists. Just saying that it’s your talent to develop and your art to play and that no one has to sound any particular way except how they want to. I read a fair amount of classical music for exercise and technique, but I’ve no interest in developing an “appropriate” classical sax tone. I play funk, soul, blues, hip hop, and ska music even though people assume I’m a jazz player because I have decent technique, a big full sound, and can sometimes play changes…I just want to jam and converse with whomever I’m lucky enough to be playing with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You only did the song from Greg Fishman Books ? It seems small

I found the book on internet and the songs on Yt. It sounds very good ! He's got an amazing sound. And yes, the sheets are "pretty" easy to play.
Maybe I will do it after the Rubank Book

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
I have just Part 1 of Lazarus and the complete edition of Klose for clarinet which is about twice the size, both revised by Bellison. To me they don't look identical but very similar in their structure, material, pacing, etc.. It wouldn't surprise me if there are exercises, etudes, duets, etc.. that are the same in both books but I don't have the inclination to spend the time necessary to complete that comprehensive a comparison. They both look to be cut from the same cloth as the Universal Method for Saxophone - solid classical style methods books. The newer stuff that comes with CDs, play-alongs, web downloads, etc. maybe more engaging, especially to today's attention deficit conditioned society, but if you can get through any of these books playing everything cleanly at a decent tempo you're going to come out a very solid player.
What caught my attention in the pdf someone posted was the section on how to make your own reeds. Even though the book is for saxophone method the mouthpiece in the illustration is for a clarinet. And I haven't laid them out side by side but I think that section is identical to the section in Lazarus.

My dad found the Lazarus I and II books in the Goodwill store back in the 60s. I still have them though they're falling apart and one doesn't have the cover anymore. They were most likely printed in the 1940s. Since then I bought a new copy of Lazarus I and I still use it when I get the bug to practice clarinet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bob Mintzer's Jazz Blues and Funk Etudes
Jack Wilkin's Essential Jazz Etudes
Jim Snidero's Jazz Conception Series

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh thanks, I will check this carefully.
I found the book of Liebman, I will see what he says about breathing.

I can send in DM the book if someone wants too (hard to find in France)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts